Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Pimp my ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 11:04 PM
verhagem
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pimp my ride

Hello Neon enthusiasts.

I have recently purchased a 2-door '98 Plymouth Neon EX with the 2.0 DOHC & 5-speed manual. After some extensive detailing I have purchased a set of 17" rims (to make it look mean), a Dynomax cat-back exhaust system (to make it sound mean), and a K&N air filter (because it was inexpensive and I have little automotive experience).

I now come to you, the Neon gurus, for you expert opinion's. What next? How can I continue my quest to build a Neon capable of blowing the doors off of those rice-burning imports on a college budget? I have heard that CAI will yeild the best results for my money, but I have also heard that CAI is a hassle if this is my primary vehicle because I can't drive it when it's wet out. Thoughts?

Additionally, I am loosing fins in my radiator and will need to replace it soon. Keeping in mind that my vehicle in NOT EQUPPIED WITH A/C, what is my best option for a replacement radiator?

Thanks for your help,
Matt VerHage

Old 08-09-2004, 11:10 PM
KlerricK
Professional
Default RE: Pimp my ride

ORIGINAL: verhagem

I now come to you, the Neon gurus, for you expert opinion's. What next? How can I continue my quest to build a Neon capable of blowing the doors off of those rice-burning imports on a college budget? I have heard that CAI will yeild the best results for my money, but I have also heard that CAI is a hassle if this is my primary vehicle because I can't drive it when it's wet out. Thoughts?
This is not necessarily true. Companies such as AEM make the CAI as well as bypass mods that allow the CAI filter to become submerged in water and the module will not allow any water to get into the engine. Obviously, this doesn't mean you can drive the thing into a lake, but driving through a heavy downpour with deep puddles will not kill your car. I've had an AEM with bypass for about a year now and I have not had any probs what-so-ever. Hope this helps you out some!

Old 08-09-2004, 11:28 PM
NYG
Veteran

TO help take advantage of the CAI - have you upgraded your CAM?

I can relate to the Radiator - I stayed with the Orginal Equip on my Radiator so I could stay in a certain race catagory - but there are some nice upgrades out there for Radiators!

Good Luck
Greg

Old 08-09-2004, 11:30 PM
verhagem

After reading around this site for a while I have noticed that there is not much mention of Dynomax exhaust. Is there a better company to go with? I haven't called the order in yet and I suppose that now is the time to ask for a second opinion on the purchase. I had heard that Flowmaster won't hold up well in cold weather states. Other's I have looked into slight include Magnaflow and Pacesetter. Thoughts?

Old 08-10-2004, 03:06 AM
Cr@zy Squ33

Dynomax is a great system, but instead of using the Dynomax Turbo muffler it comes with go with a Flowmaster 40 or 80 series. As far as "Cold" weather states that's a falacy. I ran a Flowmaster 40 on my Neon when I live in NJ, a "cold" weather state and never had an issue with it.

Steer clear of the Pacesetter as well.

I too have heard of the CAI being an issue in wet weather, but only heard it from guys with the filter 1" off the road. The AEM bypass valve is very good. The AEM CAI (correct term HAI) however is not good. Go with either an Iceman $200 or the lesser CAI off a Dodge Caravan, late 80's early 90's. It will usually run you about $30 and is comparable to the Iceman for 1/3 the cost.

Yes, to compliment the CAI go with a cam, Crane 14 is an aggresive cam and is generally used in cars that are run on the track regularly but can still be driven on daily. The most common STREET cam is the Crane 12, the Magnum Cam or anything below the Crane 12. however, if you decide on a cam be sure to replace the valve springs at the same time.

Another easy semi-cheap mod is an UDP (Underdrive Pulley) an Adjustable cam gear, and a new throttle body. There are several TB's to choose from.

52mm (Off an ATX (Automatic Transmission) Neon, 55MM, or the 60MM (more commonly used on forced induction; Turbo, Nitros).

Old 08-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

You Have a DOHC so a cam change isn't so much of a concern so ignore the statements about the cams for a while at least. I would start with a CAI, Header, 55mm Throttle Body, Cat back, High flow cat, UDP, and see where that gets you. If you still need more then its time to consider a mopar performance PCM or the AF/X PCM. This would also now be the time to consider cam replacement. I recomend cam replacement be the last thing you do because one you have a dohc and those don't need the cam replacement as bad as the sohc, two they're expensive, and three they tend to be a bit much for beginners to install.

Old 08-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

p.s. here are a couple great sites to find parts:
www.modernperformance.com
www.howellautomotive.com

Old 08-10-2004, 01:30 PM
KlerricK
Professional

I entirely disagree with you when you state that the AEM CAI is not good. I've had no problems with it at all.

Old 08-10-2004, 03:55 PM
casper
Legend

the aem HAI is not bad, its just a hot air intake, you need to get the inlet away from the motor and the AEM does not do it.

Old 08-10-2004, 10:22 PM
Cr@zy Squ33

ORIGINAL: KlerricK

I entirely disagree with you when you state that the AEM CAI is not good. I've had no problems with it at all.
It's not a matter of whether or not you've had problems with it or not. It puts the filter directly above the exhaust manifol/header (if you have one) and suck HOT AIR intot he engine as opposed to the Iceman or 3.0 CAI from a Caravan which is about 100* cooler air than what the AEM is bringing into the engine. Of course the AEM works. There is no reason why it wouldn't. But it's not efficient by sucking in cold air, it's not benefiting yiour car like one that is not over the manifold/header.

Quick Reply: Pimp my ride