Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

About intake manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007 | 12:20 AM
dysphagia
Rookie
Default RE: About intake manifolds

wow so changing the head makes it an entirely different engine?

Old 05-04-2007 | 12:24 AM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: dysphagia

wow so changing the head makes it an entirely different engine?
I didn't sat it was an entirely different engine. But the neon engine IS NOT A 420a...period.

Old 05-04-2007 | 12:34 AM
brute

Excuse me, yes it is. Apparently you didn't read anything about them. The engines have different heads, with one having intake ports facing the front and, conversely, the other has intake ports facing the rear. This does NOT make them different engines. Many, if not all, parts can be interchanged between applications. Period.

The 2.0L (1997cc) version of the Neon engine, was the first offered. Production began in 1994 in Trenton, MI and it was used in many Chrysler Corporation vehicles. It has an 87.5mm bore and 83mm stroke, and is available in both SOHC and DOHC 4-valve versions.

The A588 is the SOHC version. Output is 132hp SAE (98kW) at 5600rpm with 130ft·lbf (177N·m) of torque at 4600rpm. It has a cast iron engine block and aluminum SOHC cylinder heads. It uses SFI fuel injection, has 4 valves per cylinder with roller rocker arms and features fracture-split forged powder metal connecting rods, one-piece cast camshaft, and a reinforced plastic intake manifold (although a few of the 1995 & 1996 engines received an aluminum intake manifold due to a shortage of the plastic parts). They were painted black, but it's easy to see the casting marks and prints on the manifold. The aluminum version is much prized among enthusiasts as it's easy to port and polish for increased flow characteristics.

The DOHC D4RE 2.0 produces 140hp SAE at 6500rpm with 130ft·lbf of torque at 4800rpm. It has a cast iron engine block and aluminum DOHC cylinder heads. It uses SFI fuel injection, has 4 valves per cylinder with roller rocker arms and features fracture-split forged powder metal connecting rods, a one-piece cast camshaft, and an aluminum intake manifold.
Applications: [ul][*]Chrysler PT Cruiser (non-US)[*]Dodge Avenger/Chrysler Sebring (1995-1999)[*]Dodge Neon/Plymouth Neon (1995-1999)[*]Mitsubishi Eclipse/Eagle Talon (second generation, 1995-1998)[/ul]

Old 05-04-2007 | 12:34 AM
dysphagia
Rookie

this whole arguement is based on a statement realating the durablitly of DSM's to neons, they share a lot of components, and were even assembled in the same plant. So thus the durablitily of a neon should be close to that of a DSM.

Old 05-04-2007 | 12:39 AM
das2123
Legend

The fact they call the ECC (the real engine code) a D4RE, is enough for me to stop reading. That is a fictional engine code.

You could say that the SOHC (ECB) and DOHC (ECC) are the same engine since they share the same block as well RIGHT?

Old 05-04-2007 | 12:48 AM
dysphagia
Rookie

ORIGINAL: das2123

The fact they call the ECC (the real engine code) a D4RE, is enough for me to stop reading. That is a fictional engine code.

You could say that the SOHC (ECB) and DOHC (ECC) are the same engine since they share the same block as well RIGHT?
I"m sure its not fictional to DCX...and no the SOHC and the DOHC may not be the same exact motor but that is beyond the point! None of the motors had any reliablitly issues with the heads anyway.

Old 05-04-2007 | 12:53 AM
das2123
Legend

"m sure its not fictional to DCX.
DCX didn't call it the D4RE, they called it the ECC <----That is the engine designation code!! They never referred to it as the D4RE. I have spoken with Chrysler engineers who laugh at the fictional code.

and no the SOHC and the DOHC may not be the same exact motor but that is beyond the point!
The head is the only thing difference, so why not call them the same engine? You say the 420a isn't a different engine just because they changed the head, correct?

Old 05-04-2007 | 12:57 AM
brute

Yes, I am aware.

SOHC engine is the ECB
DOHC engine is the ECC
SOHC Magnum engine is the ECH

So you're trying to tell me that a different head-flow characteristic is grounds for changing the motor title? So I could, in your theory, put a different head on my car and create a new, never seen before, engine? The world would be full of hybrid motors and nothing would be organized! There would be chaos and anarchy and mass suicides!

In GM’s, there are many different head packages available and even some changes year to year. For example the 1997 LS1 head is a dog, the 1998 Ls1 head is much better. The LS2 uses an LS6 head with different machining and a larger bore squench area.

In Nissans, S13 Redtop and S13 Blacktop Sr20det bottom ends are the same. Rods and pistons have the same part number. All SR20DET’s have cooling channels in the main bearings. As for the heads, the only difference between them is early model S13 Redtop motors did not have heatsink markings on the front of the head; late model S13 SR20DET’s did use them.

Same motor? Absolutely.

Old 05-04-2007 | 01:01 AM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: brute
So you're trying to tell me that a different head-flow characteristic is grounds for changing the motor title?
You'd have to ask the engineers at Mitsubishi...they are the ones who took the Chyrsler's ECC engine, reversed the head and called it the 420a....not me.

Old 05-04-2007 | 01:05 AM
dysphagia
Rookie

holy crap haha DCX is a conglomorate. the engineers at chyrsler are the ones who put that motor in the mitsus

Quick Reply: About intake manifolds