Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

1995 Neon wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 02:50 AM
chevygal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Neon wiring help

My car is having issue with a wire cooking itself. The connection from the starter (1) to what I believe leads down to the alt (4) is what keeps giving me grief. First time it happened was maybe 3 years ago. I fixed it and it never did it again until this past winter. I fixed it, and fine until a few weeks ago. Now the wire totally melts and blows out after 1-2 days when I fix it (2). I have to booty fab it to go anywhere. By the time I get home it's already melting and burning (2). Now not only did it melt the wire (2), the connection on the starter (1) is loose and looks like it was burned a bit. Also, for the first time, it affected the negative side of the battery (3). It's hard to see, but I can see it's not how it should be, as in the connection is discolored. I plan to take it to a shop to have it looked at. But I would like to have some idea of what to ask about and what to expect. I would have crawled under the car myself already but some fine citizen stole my jack and stands. Why I have a question as to where this wire exactly ends, I can't tell and my Chiltons is zero helps. Anyhow, any input is very welcome. Thanks!

Old 08-30-2004, 05:09 PM
LoNeWuLf
Record Breaker
Default RE: 1995 Neon wiring help

CHEVYgal havin issues with her DODGE...

interesting.. kinda ironic

just messin...

Old 08-31-2004, 05:45 AM
chevygal

Yup, I am. I use other boards, so it's easier to keep one handle. I have a K5 which is where the name stems from...

Anyhow, if anyone has any idea what might be causing this, I would be greatful.

Old 08-31-2004, 01:29 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

I'd would be say that your starter is ****ed. From the pictures and what your describing I can almost bet that its your starter and it keeps drawing a load even when the key is not in the start posistion and the wires are not designed to hold that load the whole time the vehicle is running. Thats my guess anyway its kinda hard to know so it could be something else.

Old 09-02-2004, 04:00 PM
b_s_d
Professional

ORIGINAL: chevygal
My car is having issue with a wire cooking itself. The connection from the starter (1) to what I believe leads down to the alt (4) is what keeps giving me grief. . I fixed it, ....... Now the wire totally melts and blows out after 1-2 days when I fix it (2). I have to booty fab it to go anywhere. By the time I get home it's already melting and burning (2). Now not only did it melt the wire (2), the connection on the starter (1) is loose and looks like it was burned a bit. Also, for the first time, it affected the negative side of the battery (3).
It looks like you've been replacing the fusible link; this is designed to melt when there's a problem. This is a black wire at the starter that changes to GLK/GRY after the fusible link, not the red battery connection or brown starter switch relay wire. You could melt the harness in other locations if you've been patching the link with higher capacity wire.

If this is the line causing the problem, then I'd suspect: 1) an intermittent short in the BLK/GRY wire between the fusible link and the alternator, 2) bad regulator (pcm), or 3) bad alternator. Are you trapping any diagnostic codes? What is the voltage across the battery with the engine running? Much more than 15V or less than about 13V would indicate a problem.

Edit: Meant to say these are possibilities in addition to Altima_wb's input. I imagine the link could also blow if the starter continues to sink current after the alternator is up to charging speed.

Quick Reply: 1995 Neon wiring help