Dodge Nitro The Dodge Nitro is a sporty mid size SUV that bound to turn heads where ever it roams. The Dodge Nitro is one fun ride!

Long start on a 2007 Nitro

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 09:10 AM
Dez_430
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Long start on a 2007 Nitro

I need help. My 2007 Dodge Nitro R/T takes between 4 to 6 seconds to crank on. It does not happen every time and it does not matter weather it is hot or cold. It is just random. I have had it at the shop where they have replaced the fuel pump and all lines. They have hooked up a scanner and it picks up nothing. In the 9 days that they had it, they had to replace the battery. The one that was in there as a brand new one. So this issue is draining my battery. I cant figure it out and apparently they can not either. Does anyone know what is causing this?

Old 11-21-2013, 09:33 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you saying that there is a 4-6 second delay between the time you turn the key to START and the time it starts cranking?

Old 01-03-2014, 09:20 PM
MGMx2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feel your pain

I have the same issue on a 2008 R/T 4.0 L Nitro as well. You turn the key and the starter/alternator/battery all work, but acts like a slow crank....similar to if you're not getting enough gas. I also changed out the pump, lines, filter....hell even tried some direct spray to verify....(you know, the aerosol can every mechanic loves to use to diagnose fuel pump failure)...still occasional slow crank. I read somewhere that the 07/08 models, the CD/Radio unit may be causing a battery draw. That it doesn't actually turn "off" therefor draining the battery and in result, the slow crank.

If someone with more knowledge can double verify this, the procedure to check if its "faulty" is to turn the car on, then turn it off (take key out) and do not open the doors. Wait the 30 to 60 seconds for the unit to turn off, then after about another 45 seconds, the unit (CD/Radio) will flash once....very lightly and subtle. Try doing it at night with no other light interference.

The repair was to replace the unit.
Again, a second verification for this would be useful.

Quick Reply: Long start on a 2007 Nitro