Dodge Nitro The Dodge Nitro is a sporty mid size SUV that bound to turn heads where ever it roams. The Dodge Nitro is one fun ride!

2008 nitro power loss! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 10:41 AM
Laforgefam18
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 nitro power loss! Please help!

I have had my 2008 dodge nitro RT for almost a year. A couple months back my check engine light came on so I immediately took it to advance auto and got it checked. It was the oxygen sensors. It has 4 but we could only afford 2 at the time. We installed those and the problem seemed fixed. No further hesitation or power loss. A couple days ago I noticed when I started it and it was in idle, it was vibrating more than usual and sounded a little different. I drove it and it drove fine until I went to go up a hill. It did not want to climb the hill. Having the air on seemed to worsen the problem also. That's the same problem I had before until I replaced the 1st 2 oxygen sensors. My question is this.....would the 2 sensors I didn't replace somehow mess up the 2 new ones I put in? Or are these 2 just going out on me now? Or....do you think it's a whole different problem? The only other problem I noticed the other day was that the exhaust smelled like rotten eggs. But it has stopped that and now doesn't smell at all. Can anyone help please? Thank you!!!

Old 03-03-2019, 02:16 PM
gmyhilo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maintenance history

The first things to tell us is to discuss the Maintenance history of your car? How many miles, how long have you had it. When was last Air, Filter, Oil Filter, Battery, Coolant age, fuel filter, previous O2 or other sensors replaced, timing belts? Any previous major repairs? What is environment the car is used in- Snow, Salt, Dust Heat. The car is 10 years old after all.

The air filter is first, battery second, fuel filter third. Replace these frequently and you avoid many other problems.

Others, do regular ebay scanners work on this car?

Old 03-03-2019, 02:20 PM
gmyhilo

The first things to tell us is to discuss the Maintenance history of your car? How many miles, how long have you had it. When was last Air, Filter, Oil Filter, Battery, Coolant age, fuel filter, previous O2 or other sensors replaced, timing belts? Any previous major repairs? What is environment the car is used in- Snow, Salt, Dust Heat. The car is 10 years old after all.

The air filter is first, battery second, fuel filter third. Replace these frequently and you avoid many other problems.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:10 PM
rickey1940@gmail.com

have you checked your trans mition fluid latley?

Old 10-08-2019, 01:09 PM
gmyhilo
Default Not 'supposed to' check trans fluid.

Not 'supposed to' check trans fluid. But I bought an aftermarket dip stick, haven't installed it yet.
Anyone, please advise, have you done this?

Old 10-08-2019, 08:54 PM
rickey1940@gmail.com

this happened too me twice a few weeks apart.. was driving fine.. stopped and shut off car . af ew hrs later i started it back up and just as i was starting on to a freeway on ramp.. lost power.. would not accell over 50 mph ,almost like limp mode.. i pulled over turned it off ,waited a minute and stared it up.. and no problem.. did this both times..it happened.. added a little tranny fluid after that and havent had another problem . with it to date anyway.... maybe just coeinsidental.. but it hasnt dont it again............. why -"not suppose to check tranny fluid"?

Old 10-14-2019, 10:11 AM
gmyhilo
Smile No factory installed transmission dipstick

No factory installed transmission dipstick. dealer says " no maintenance possible" I have had transmission flush and refilled. They say only dealer can check trans fluid via "complcated procedure".
That's why I am asking for advice, lifetime trans fluid is not a good idea I believe. So, tell me how did you add trans fluid?
Thanks for you reply.

Old 10-19-2019, 05:34 PM
rickey1940@gmail.com
Wink the normal way- with a funnel ..

i just added a little bit at a time . didnt take much..and i didnt over DO IT,,,then put the cap back on securEly.. no idea why we"are not suppose " to do it ourselfs.. but ive had no further problem.. doesnt make sense that they built it with out a dip stick... . , it could also be thAT WHEN YOU ARE PUTTING YOUR CAR INTO DRIVE THAT INADVERTENTLY YOU MIGHT BE PUSHING DOWN ON THE LEVER AS YOUR SLIDING IT DOWN.. THAT ACTION PUTS THE VEHICAL IN LIMP MODE... BECARE NOT TO OVERFILL THE FLUID.. IF YOU FILL IT YOURSELF.. MAYBE JUST ASK THE DEALER why YOU CANT DO IT THIS WAY.. SEEMS TO ME THATS EXACTLY HOW THEY WOULD TO IT TOO.. .... GOOD LUCK.. ADDITIONALY.. I DONT BELEIVE THAT FLUSHING YOUR FLUIDS ARE IN REALITY GOOD FOR YOUR VEHICAL.. I THINK IT JUST LOOSEN UP CRUD AND SENDS IT WHERE IT DOESNT WANT TO BE... MY OPINION ONLY

Quick Reply: 2008 nitro power loss! Please help!