Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New Dodge Owner-Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007 | 12:46 AM
waltmoe
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Dodge Owner-Questions

I have a couple of NEW DODGE owner questions. I am very happy with my decision to purchase this Dodge and have absolutely NO regrets purchasing this truck.
I purchased a 2007 3500, short bed, 5.9, automatic, Quad cab 4x4 with 3.73 rear end

Question 1
I noticed a drop of honey colored oil on the bottom of the automatic transmission inspection plate. This fluid is NOT, engine oil, transmission oil or any other obvious oil that I can identify. I am wondering if it may be some assembly lube that may have melted off. Has anyone else experienced this clear honey color oil on the bottom of their automatic transmission? I cleaned the area with solvent to see if any fluid returns.

Question 2
At time of delivery I had the Jacobs exhaust brake installed. It works great and know it will be work great when making those long highway 80 Sierra Nevada mountain downgrades when towing a trailer. I see that Jacobs/Dodge has provided a plug POST turbo for a pyrometer. When researching this pyrometer thing I see that most sensors are mounted pre turbo. What is the issue between PRE or POST for installing a pyrometer sensor? It seems to me if Jacobs/Dodge is providing a pyrometer sensor plug POST turbo it is fine to install at that location and get an accurate reading from this location.
Thinks in advance for your feedback on these questions…

Old 03-31-2007 | 11:58 AM
cumminalong
Default RE: New Dodge Owner-Questions

1 - I would think that all you are seeing a little grease or assembly lube. Probably no big deal, just keep an eye on it.

2 - Mounting pre or post both have their advantages and disadvantages. Having it mounted pre-turbo is great if you are planning to mod the truck wih a performance box or programmer. It'll tell you exactly what the engine is doing, what kind of heat your exhaust valves and turbo vanes are feeling, and when you need to back out of the throttle. What it won't tell you, is what kind of heat soak the turbo housing is experiencing. This is where the post turbo pyro is nice. If you are towing heavy and want to make sure that you allow the turbo adequate time to cool before shutdown, then a post turbo pyro is the way to go, especially if you hook-up a cool down timer or have one that comes on the TST or Edge Attitude monitor.

It's really 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other. If you are gonna mod it, get a pre-turbo probe.....If you are gonna leave it as is and want to keep an eye on the turbo, use the post turbo. Or..........install both and know what's really goin' on.

Old 04-01-2007 | 02:51 PM
BFR

cumminalong is right if u plan to leave it totally stock that would be perfect. but i think if u plan to bump up the power at all u need to go with a pre turbo. the turbo actually cools the egt 300-400 degrees at full throttle and will throw ur readings way off. when safe limits are posted it is always posted for pre turbo in diesel power mag there was a really good break down of it well a few months ago that is

Old 04-01-2007 | 03:56 PM
DR

The answer to #1 is this; You are seeing anti-freeze leaking from a little piece of 3" long hose that has two clamps on it. I saw the same thing for about 15,000 miles until the stealership couldn't find it so I started tracking it down and it was a simple tightening of a factory clamp. If you are facing the front of the truck it is going to be on you left side (passenger)toward the rear of the engine next to the block. Check it out and see if that isn't it.

Quick Reply: New Dodge Owner-Questions