Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 01:19 PM
duble de
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: exhaust

aright, thanx for the info everyone, im gonna try and take that ring out and in a couple of weeks take the muffler off

Old 04-06-2007, 02:53 AM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

Opening up the exhaust and intake will drop your MPG slightly. Go figure, you are getting in and moving out more air......more air = more fuel.
I wouldn't think an engine that breathes a little easier is necessarily gonna suck down more fuel but I could be wrong and I never noticed any mpg gain/dropwith better flowing exhaust and intake.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:47 PM
redneckracer212
Rookie

When I put the 4" straight pipe on mine it gained about 1 mpg. I want my exhaust to be louder so when I get it back it's going to the muffler shop again and getting cut and dumped right under the rear of the cab.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:15 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: DiEseLjunKy

I wouldn't think an engine that breathes a little easier is necessarily gonna suck down more fuel but I could be wrong and I never noticed any mpg gain/dropwith better flowing exhaust and intake.
It's not AS prevalent in a diesel as it is in a gasser, but any electronically controlled engine that senses more air, will add fuel to compensate. With a gasser, you HAVE to add fuel with more air, otherwise you lean burn and there goes pistons. With a diesel, you can't lean burn so it isn't bad, but you are spooling the turbo quicker.....more boost, computer adds more fuel and vice versa; fuel makes heat, heat makes turbo spin faster, etc., etc.

Again, it's only as bad as your right foot though.

Quick Reply: exhaust