Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

chip doesn't seem to do anything any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 03:42 AM
R0oster31
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chip doesn't seem to do anything any advice?

I have an Edge juice with attitude and before that I had a TST powermax competition on my truck. Everything was working good and then the tst chip started throwing codes, after I checked all the connections it was still throwing codes. I sent it into tst and they said it was a fried internal circuit and that they fixed it. I put it back on and it threw an overboost code, which is should not do and never did when I had it disconnected. It didn't seem to make any difference between level 1 and 9, which before it broke the first time you could definitely tell the difference. So I got fed up with it and decided to try an Edge, since it also has a turbo timer and safety mechanisms that the TST didn't. I installed the edge and same thing no difference between 1 and 5. I've got a full set of guages so I can see my boost, egt and fuel pressure. When everything was working I would pull and hold 36 pounds of boost, after it started kicking codes with the tst it would spike and then fall off back down to around 25. With the edge it will only hold 28 or so even on the high setting and all the back down settings disabled. I've got 15 psi to the injector pump so I have fuel. Any suggestions as to why the chips seem to make no significant difference?I mean it is very slight, but no where near what it was before.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: chip doesn't seem to do anything any advice?

your map sensor may be shot.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:58 AM
R0oster31
Veteran

The attitude gets the boost signal directly from the map sensor and shows boost, but I guess that would explain why the juice shows a higher boost than my guage. I trust the guage more because when the guage reads 28 the edge will read 36 or so, but I figured that was due to being at around 7000 feet. I've double checked and I have the attitude set for my year, so it should be calibrated correctly. How do I test the map sensor itself?

Old 04-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres realy no test for it. but something is definately fishy.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:00 AM
trix77

I just put the edge in my 99 2 weeks ago and I love it. When I put mine in it saved me a fortune when it showed no fuel presure. I saved my injector pump. I would have never known and burned up the injector pump. Anyway, I think it woke the truck right up. The boost only hits 33 lbs but it really moves the truck. By the way 10 minute instalation my a**. They lie. It took me that long to figure out what was what. I hope it works out for you.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:47 AM
R0oster31
Veteran

Anyone know how much a map sensor costs and if it is difficult to replace? If it is cheap I might just try replacing that.

Yea I agree with you about the 10 minute thing being a lie. I suppose if you don't hook up anything it might take 10 minutes, but it took me longer than that and I haven't done the fuel pressure or the egt yet. I didn't do the fuel because I already have a guage on that and the parts they sent won't work with the larger fuel lines that went on with the fass. About the egt probe, is there anything bad about having two? (I haven't put in the one for the edge yet because I didn't know if having two would mess with the readings.) I really like having the A-pillar guages and would like to keep them functional.

Quick Reply: chip doesn't seem to do anything any advice?