Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Looking into a CTD.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 12:24 PM
DrumMedic965
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into a CTD.

Hey all,

I started over on the 3rd Gen sidethinking abouta 1500 with a Hemi. After some investigation, and a test drive, I think I would be happier with a CTD. Obviously more money, so I'll be looking at buying in probably 6 months or so, so I can save a little more for it. I know that I want a Quad Cab 4x4 with a 6-speed manual. I'm going to do some towing, but not a whole lot. I put a lot of miles on regularly (30-35k a year). So, I think the CTD will be the best for me.

I want to get a new one ... but we'll see when it comes down to the money.

So here is what the point of my post is ... in looking at used Ram's, what should I look for? What should I avoid? When the trucks gets up into the higher mileages, what are common problems that go wrong and have to be fixed? I work with diesels constantly in my profession, but this will be the first dieselthat I willown ... is it necessary to use the additivies that you guys use? I will continue to read other posts and ask as I go. Thanks all!

Old 04-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: Looking into a CTD.

Welcome aboard Medic !!

I think you're making the right choice, not just because we all have diesels here, but because I honestly believe that they are better engines all the way around. If taken care of, Im told that you can easily expect over 300K.

As far as taking care of them, I honestly believe that they are easier to maintain than gassers. No plugs, wires,ect. to worry about, and it has 2 less cylinders.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

Welcome!

I too purchased my first CTD six months ago. knew nuttin bout em. my ctd has 335k on it and counting. the first thing on the older trucks to give hassle (from what the mechanic says), is the fuel injector pump. which ever ctd (well aged, or new) you aquire, just remember to change the filters properly, and have fun!!

Old 04-08-2007, 01:10 AM
THE153624

It'll be worth every penny.....Guaranteed! You will not be disappointed.

Quick Reply: Looking into a CTD.