Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

transmission recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 02:01 AM
jeffmac1977
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission recommendation?

Hey guys this is my first question on this page, although I have used information from you guys to fix my truck already. Thanks! The question I have is what do you guys recommend for a transmission rebuild. I have a stock 99 with 98,000 miles and it is time to look to replace or rebuild. I tow occasionally but it is a basic driver.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: transmission recommendation?

manual or auto?? second would be what kind of power adders do you have. and last, if it is an auto, is it just slipping or not shifting at all. 98K on a 47RE shouldne need a rebuild just yet.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:34 PM
jeffmac1977

it's automatic and the only adder is a K&N air filter so far. I noticed when I tow my farm tractor and pull a small grade the torque converter slips with overdrive off.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:04 PM
rbmason
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Drew
manual or auto?? second would be what kind of power adders do you have. and last, if it is an auto, is it just slipping or not shifting at all. 98K on a 47RE shouldne need a rebuild just yet.
I have a 99 auto with 155K on it. It's been rebuilt atleast once, but the stock tranny is crap at best.

When it got rebuilt it wouldn't shift out of first,

but lately, it's been slipping in and out of gears around 40-50 mph (or atleast revs up and down a lot, not quite sure how to define it).

What do you suggest?

Old 04-08-2007, 11:38 PM
cmnspwr
Veteran

If you plan on doing any power mods, I'd call Dave at Goerend Transmissions. He has an outsanding warranty on his transmissions and his customer service is top notch. Just call him and tell him what you plan on doing and he will tell you what he thinks you should do.

563-778-2719
www.goerend.com

Old 04-09-2007, 06:42 AM
Ralph78
Professional

ORIGINAL: Drew

Check with a well recommended Transmission Shop that works on the Dodge Ram Transmissions. At the very least there are better valves etc. it depends on what you want to spend. To be bullet proof, get a GOOD Billet Aftermarket Torque Converter, such as the ATS 5 Star, with a Commander lockup controller, and have the transmission rebuilt with the heavy duty valves and clutch paks. If you go all out, it will really cost, I've got more than $6,000 (Including Instillation) in my transmission package listed in my Sig. below. But 90% of my use is towing trailers from 5,000 lbs. to 9,000 lbs. in temperatures of 105+ in the summer here in Bakersfield. It all depends on how much you are going to push the HP and Torque and what you will be towing.

Ralph

Old 04-09-2007, 06:43 AM
Ralph78
Professional

OOOOPPPPSSSS, should have quoted the OP, LOL.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:46 AM
weasle

Reading this one gets me a little worried. I just bought an 04 with 70,000km's on it and haul a trailer daily. Can I expect to rebuild my tranny that soon?? Is there any way to prevent this?? Is this normal of the stock dodge tranny?

Thanks

Old 04-10-2007, 03:04 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Weasel,

Where many have problems is from not servicing the transmissions at least every 30,000 miles and or use the wrong or older transmission fluids. Until Dodge released the ATF-4 fluid speck so other companies could make it, when they went to have it topped off at the local lube place other then a Dodge shop they would not always get the correct transmission fluid added, so over time it screws up a transmission as the older type of fluid will not hold up in the newer transmissions.

Also some will install power boxes/programmers and all of the extra torque will add stress to the transmission and cause things will break. That being said one can never tell when some thing will break even if you service it regularly.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at the least a new valve body will help alot. adding a torque converter is another big help since it has been proven the stock TC for these trucks is weak.

rbmason, from the sound of it you may have the same issue many other 2nd gen 24 valve guys have what you are talking about sounds exactly like the toque converter going into and out of lock-up, the transmission wireing harness has been chaffed through by a hanger and causeing it to ground out. this will give the trans fits causeing the exact thing you are talking about.

Quick Reply: transmission recommendation?