Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

upgrades lowers MPG's??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 04:27 AM
weasle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrades lowers MPG's??

Hi all, Reading on one of the post that and air filter upgrade and an exhaust upgrade acually lowered a guys MPG's and the explanation was more air more fuel. fair enough. may Isuggest also more power/tourque? I haul a 16' trailer all day everyday and I wounder if doing those upgrade would lower my MPG's aswell or would the extra power caused by the more air more fuel thing beopposite for me becasue I am needed the extra power. Does that make any sence?? What has been your guy's who haul trailers or loads been with air and exhaust upgrades?? Thanks to all. Great forum

Wes

Old 04-08-2007, 06:05 AM
R0oster31
Veteran
Default RE: upgrades lowers MPG's??

Well in a gas engine if you have more air you need more fuel, but in a diesel the air isn't throttled, only the fuel. Usually the more air the better because since there is no fuel during compression you don't have to worry about pre-ignition, hence air fuel mixture isn't nearly as critical. You can run a diesel lean and not have to worry about it, but if you run a gas too lean you have to start worrying about pinging. A lean mixture in a diesel means the fuel can burn more completely as there is more than enough oxygen to burn everything. By putting in an easier flowing exhaust and intake you should allow the engine to breath a little easier and burn a little cleaner, or if nothing else just free up the power that was being wasted trying to pull and push the air through the engine. For example say with your stock setup you're pulling your trailer and it takes enough fuel to make 150 hp to keep a steady speed, now you switch the intake and exhaust and at that speed you save 5 hp in pumping losses, now you only have to burn enough fuel to supply 145 hp to keep that speed. If it makes it burn a little cleaner than that should make the same amount of fuel produce more hp. And the other bonus to intake and exhaust is egt, an easier flowing system should drop the egt some, depends on the system. Cooler egt's is good for the turbo. I haven't researched this stuff, but that is just my thoughts, if I'm wrong someone correct me please.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

someone give rooster a nail and a hammer please.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:50 PM
cumminalong

The wise one has spoken.........let the gospel be written!

Quick Reply: upgrades lowers MPG's??