Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2007 Megacab...recomended mods?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 01:18 AM
Wish4vip
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Megacab...recomended mods?

ORIGINAL: VegasVinny

Why would you want to do all this to your dads truck? I doubt your dad is gonna let you mod up his new pride and joy, I know I sure as hell wouldnt. Might want to get your own truck first before modding someone elses. Just my $0.02
If it was my truckI would do what I would want to it. But because it is my fathers, and his interest is mileage, I am looking for the best possibilities for him. My own truck in an 01 Tundra which is loud and has powertrax lockers and he hates it. I love it. I'm just trying to help out my old man so his truck lasts for a long time and gets good mileage when he goes to work every day. The poor man works 150 hours every 2 weeks. If you do the math that doesn't give him much time to do much else. I do his homework because he doesn't have time to. Drew has been a great help to me in simply understanding the cummins. I was clueless on the trans and now I have a better idea on them. So I'm just doing my homework.

I completely respect your opinion but I feel you got the wrong idea about me. I'm not trying to make his truck a race car or anything, just trying to get the old man some miles. While I'm fluent in Tundra,Ram is a foreign language(no pun intended), so give me a break.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:47 AM
VegasVinny
Rookie

Calm down bro, I wasnt getting on you about anything, I was just curious myself. The best way to get the duribility and milage you and your dad would like, is to just simply leave it stock. When you start adding power adders, be it computer or mechanical, milage will decrease and wear will increase. Leaving it stock and doing its recommended fluid and filter changes is the best thing you can do.

Alot of people on here will tell you to open up the exhaust a little bit, but you said your father doesnt like it loud. Others will tell you to open up the intake a little bit to make it breathe better, but that is pointless if you open the intake to allow better flow if you cant exhaust it the same way. I would just simply leave it alone. Dodge/Cummins built it to last 300k+ mile the way it is, You mess with it it may lessen. Take this opinion with a grain of salt if you will, Ive seen more rediculous opinions on here before. Just use common sense in what ever changes you make.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:55 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Really, what has been said is true. Leave it stock and do routine maint, it will last and get good mileage.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:24 AM
jakebrake
Champion

I recommend a sooner valve adjust than dodge recommends (60,000 mile insted of 120,000). I also like to change my fuel filter every oil change, you never know when you might get a bad tank of fuel. The sooner you catch it, the less problems it creates. If he's doing a lot of highway miles, I would get a bug screen to keep your rad, condensor and coolersclean. Also a gearvendors overdrive for the highway should help reduce wear and tear on the engine. Might also help out on mileage.From what I have heard, a fluid dampner seems to tame the engine harmonics better than the stocker. (Co-worker has one on his 12v he claims better fuel mileage with it). I would swap out all the rubber coolant hoses with silicone ones as they last longer and seem to seal better. They don't get hard and brittle like the rubber ones.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:21 AM
Wish4vip

ORIGINAL: VegasVinny

Calm down bro, I wasnt getting on you about anything, I was just curious myself. The best way to get the duribility and milage you and your dad would like, is to just simply leave it stock. When you start adding power adders, be it computer or mechanical, milage will decrease and wear will increase. Leaving it stock and doing its recommended fluid and filter changes is the best thing you can do.

Alot of people on here will tell you to open up the exhaust a little bit, but you said your father doesnt like it loud. Others will tell you to open up the intake a little bit to make it breathe better, but that is pointless if you open the intake to allow better flow if you cant exhaust it the same way. I would just simply leave it alone. Dodge/Cummins built it to last 300k+ mile the way it is, You mess with it it may lessen. Take this opinion with a grain of salt if you will, Ive seen more rediculous opinions on here before. Just use common sense in what ever changes you make.
I'm not upset don't worry . Just trying to get everyone to see where I'm coming from on this. I'm new to this whole "good mileage" concept [sm=devilgrin.gif]. Well then maybe stockthe new truckwill stay. Unlike diesels, my truck could benefit from an underdrive pulley, decent headers, and a decent muffler to increase some mileage. But, a diesel is a whole different beast that is new to me.

I do appreciate any help though; just trying to get my bearings on this if you know what mean. Thanks all.

Quick Reply: 2007 Megacab...recomended mods?