Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2007 Megacab...recomended mods?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 04:39 AM
Wish4vip
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Megacab...recomended mods?

Within the month my father will trading in his 03 6.0 Ford for a new 07 Megacab with the 5.9. I have already talked to Drew and he has been a great help in me doing my homework about this truck.

So, I am rather new to diesels and very new to Dodges. My father will make this truck a highway queen. And well, I'll drive ithard . I would LOVE to put a new exhaust on it but I don't think it will fly with him unless it is quiet which defies the purpose. I have already talked him into the new trans pan which holds 4 more quarts of ATF which I am assuming cannot be a bad thing!

Are they any other mods or programmers out there that are geared for better mileage? He will be towing with it but nothing large andonlyevery couple of months when he goes hunting.He is buying this truck so that it will last for 300,000 miles plus and start every day, week after week, month after month for many years. I'm just doing his homework and trying to get the best mileage and longevity out of this truck.

Thank you for any help!

Old 04-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: 2007 Megacab...recomended mods?

The only thing I would reccomend is that your father not give YOU a set of keys if he expects that kind of mileage !!!

Just kidding man. Best of luck with it !!
Other than the trans pan I'd probably get the diff pans as well to help keep them cooler as well.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:15 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Wish4vip

Within the month my father will trading in his 03 6.0 Ford for a new 07 Megacab with the 5.9. I have already talked to Drew and he has been a great help in me doing my homework about this truck.

So, I am rather new to diesels and very new to Dodges. My father will make this truck a highway queen. And well, I'll drive ithard . I would LOVE to put a new exhaust on it but I don't think it will fly with him unless it is quiet which defies the purpose. I have already talked him into the new trans pan which holds 4 more quarts of ATF which I am assuming cannot be a bad thing!

Are they any other mods or programmers out there that are geared for better mileage? He will be towing with it but nothing large andonlyevery couple of months when he goes hunting.He is buying this truck so that it will last for 300,000 miles plus and start every day, week after week, month after month for many years. I'm just doing his homework and trying to get the best mileage and longevity out of this truck.

Thank you for any help!
Sounds to me like Dad needs to keep you out of hisnew truck.

If he wants it for 300K, quiet, and starts everyday..............leave the damn thing alone, do the normal maintenance and she'll be good to go.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Wish4vip

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

The only thing I would reccomend is that your father not give YOU a set of keys if he expects that kind of mileage !!!

Just kidding man. Best of luck with it !!
Other than the trans pan I'd probably get the diff pans as well to help keep them cooler as well.
Haha yeah I drivemy truck hard,but I never beat a vehicle. Regular maintance has always been mine and my brothers job on the family cars. This is the first Dodge in the family and with that awesome cummins I plan to keep this truck on the road for a long time! The diffs don't seem like a bad idea either, but they don't take as much wear as the tranny I would think. But heck, if I can talk him into them then he'll buy them!

That's the joy of this all; he's got the money, and I have the know how

Old 04-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I just put the rear diff on my truck and Sharx just put both on his. I think Triton has them as well. They not only look cool, but they also add another quart of fluid to help keep things cooler. Shouldn't be a hard sell.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:23 PM
timesublime
Veteran

Mayfair, where do you get those diff covers. Felt my AAM 11.5 and it was smoking hot after a load of firewood, an extra quart and cooling fins should do the trick

Old 04-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Geno's garage has em.

Check it out ...

http://www.genosgarage.com/products.asp?dept=167

Old 04-12-2007, 07:09 PM
timesublime
Veteran

A little bit cheaper and free shipping here: http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.as...FRFBhgodogsgnw

Old 04-13-2007, 12:24 AM
cmnspwr
Veteran

IMO, first and foremost should be gauges. Especially an EGT gauge.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:33 AM
VegasVinny
Rookie

Why would you want to do all this to your dads truck? I doubt your dad is gonna let you mod up his new pride and joy, I know I sure as hell wouldnt. Might want to get your own truck first before modding someone elses. Just my $0.02

Quick Reply: 2007 Megacab...recomended mods?