Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Tuner or chip question for towing?? Please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 02:00 AM
swarren5199
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner or chip question for towing?? Please help!!

Hello all, I am a new dodge diesel owner and brand new to this forum. I apologize in advance if this info is already posted somewhere. I just purchased a 2007 Dodge 2500 4x4. Ibought this to mainly pull a fifth wheel. The dry weight of the fifth wheel is just over 9000lbs so I will probalby be pulling around 10,000lbs once I get my stuff loaded in it. Anyway, my question, is there a good tuner or chip out their that would help me quite a bit with towing, of course performance is never a horrible thing either. I do not have any other mods and really am not looking to do any other mods serious mods. I was just wondering if there was a safe tuner/chip by itself that would help a lot in this area. Also, Ireally don't want to produce smoke out the pipe or be in danger of a dealer easily tracing the tuner/chipif I had to takethe truck in for service. Anyway, if anyone has any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it. I will be goingup to the colorado mountains inJuly with a friend that has an F250 and I want to be able to out pullhim through the mountains. Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!

Stephen

Old 04-14-2007, 03:13 AM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tuner or chip question for towing?? Please help!!

What gears? trans?

Old 04-14-2007, 08:59 AM
cumminalong

swarren5199.........Welcome to DF!

First off, the weight that your are talking about is gonna be like candy to the CTD. Don't sweat that part of it. What you really might want to look at, considering the area that you said that you will be towing in, is the Jacobs Brake, this will greatly help your downhill control in the hills. I'll explain another benefit here below.

After gauges, a free'r flowing exhaust and intake. This does wonders for your engines response and EGT's.

Let's talk chips, boxes, tuners, etc.....

Before you do any of these, the FIRST thing you'll want is gauges. At a minimum........EGT, trans temp, and boost. Now, the boost and trans temp can be done without any permanent mod's that would be dealer traceable. The EGT on the other hand (here is where my second benefit comes in) needs to be drilled and tapped into the exhaust manifold. Which, unless you had a second one laying around, is kind of hard to hide.

So, what was my second advantage......the Jacobs Brake has a pre-drilled and tapped spot on it for a pyro probe. So, if you were to run a very mild box, like an Edge EZ or even an Edge Juice w/ Attitude monitor, you can keep an eye on that vital EGT number and you would have no worries about melting anything down.

Take a look in my gallery (that little camera icon over to the left, under the user info). I have a ton of pics of the setup I'm running. This box can be as safe as you want it to be. YOU set the limits that you want. YOU control how much boost, heat, and or transmission slip that you are comfortable with.

Seriously though, tow with it first. I think you'll be surprised at how well the truck actually handles that load. Consider your warranty and go from there. Nobody here wants to blow thier truck up, just make reliable power.

Again, welcome aboard. Enjoy!

Old 04-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

Seriously though, tow with it first. I think you'll be surprised at how well the truck actually handles that load. Consider your warranty and go from there. Nobody here wants to blow thier truck up, just make reliable power.
just to let you know. . .Ive seen stock Cummins out pull modded fords

Old 04-16-2007, 01:21 AM
swarren5199

I have an automatic with 3.73 rear end.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:41 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Tow with the truck several times before you make your mind up about changing it. My camper is about 8500 lbs and I haven't found a hill yet that will slow me down. Get 500 miles on her, then hook that camper up and tow it. This will break in the engine right, and you will notice better mileage and better power every time you tow for at least 8000 -10000 miles. I have been through 2 Fords, a 7.3 and a 6.0 neither one towed my camper as well as this truck does. The only reason I changed the exhaust was to get a little better sound out of it.

Quick Reply: Tuner or chip question for towing?? Please help!!