Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Injector Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 04:46 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector Rattle

Well it happened to me yesterday[sm=shootshoot.gif] What I’m at a loss for is why it started to rattle being I use PS, MMO and 2-cycle oil (22 oz total of this 3) in my last fill up and since then I added 8 more gallons to my fuel tank. So far to quite it down I poured in 9 oz of Lucas and then run it hard[sm=gears.gif] on my way to town and back or about 35 miles.

I wonder if this is related to or why it does not like to start back up after setting 10 minute or longer, it did this 3 times last fall but stopped until about 3 weeks ago. To me a hard start up is it not starting the first time I turn the key and have to turn the key off and then right back to on and on the second try it fires up. Its almost like there is no fuel when I go to start it but it should still be there after only setting a short time. Also when it does not want to start the outside temp is in the mid 40’s or above, the engine temp is still between 150-190 and in no need of the grid heater.

I guess its one more thing they can look at when I go to have the trans serviced being I’ve had it shudder on me for the second time when empty and was slowing down for a turn.

I mean [sm=WTFsgign.gif]I only have 14,400 miles on it and I have not hauled or towed much heavy weight with this truck

Well I guess I finally had to join the ranks of those who have transmissions and injector problems[X(]

Old 04-16-2007, 06:39 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: Injector Rattle

After reading that article in the last TDR magazine ( perhaps it was 2 issued ago ) I've stopped adding additives altogether. I'm going to run a couple of tanks using just pump fuel and see where my mileage sits. If I start getting beter than 13-14mpg I think my additives days are over.

We'll see ...

Old 04-16-2007, 06:45 PM
JDH
Rookie

I am doing the same but when symtoms of build up occure I will add some PS I think the best performance improvement I have seen to date is from towing the boat at 75 mph for 3 hours.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:09 PM
UpBranchLiner

I also stopped using additives and fuel mileage is slowly coming up

Old 04-16-2007, 11:56 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

I've been saying that for a long time. No additives unless required for a specific problem.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

since I started with PS, my black cloud of death has since dissapeared from site

it only happens at start up....

with 336k on it, Im shocked!!!

even my diesel mechanic is puzzled!!!!

Old 04-18-2007, 03:39 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Well I took it in and after talking to he tech it appears it is in need of a work out. No codes showed up and the trans has now been serviced and I didn't let them touch or adjust the bands. I saw no sign of any thing to worry about in the pan when he took it off. I will say it sure does shift better with the Amsoil fluid in it much to my surprise.

I plan on loading some rocks for weight in the bed and take it on an all day work out run to the muddy river (Mississippi River) then down to Dubuque and back. That should help clean up the injectors being it got babied all winter[]

Old 04-18-2007, 03:44 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: bajafun

since I started with PS, my black cloud of death has since dissapeared from site

it only happens at start up....

with 336k on it, Im shocked!!!

even my diesel mechanic is puzzled!!!!
Nothing unusual, I get almost no smoke whatesoever when I run the Brew, even if I turn the box up a bit. If I know I wanna make a bit of smoke, I only add 2 stroke to the fuel, but even then I really need to be at Level 3 or higher. Below that all I get is little powder puffs.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Live44MX

DBLR,
I had the same problem since I bought the truck. I took the truck in several times and they could not find anything. After I hit15k miles the truck hit acode and the timing sensor had to be replaced. The truck runs a lot better but I still get a little bit of a tick now and then so I use PS to quiet it down. I really think it is a timing and 3rd injection issue that they put on these trucks for EPA crap. Maybe Drewcan respond with a moreknowledge..... When I get the big bucks I am heading down to get either a programmer or RokkTech timing advance sensor... I am really Fed up with the EPA crap we have to deal with!!!

Old 04-18-2007, 11:35 PM
cmnspwr
Veteran

IMO, I wouldn't waste your money on the Rokktech. My mileage went up for about a couple weeks then dropped back down to "normal". The only reason why I still have it is for the timing.

Quick Reply: Injector Rattle