Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Compressed Air Setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 12:59 AM
bekim
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Compressed Air Setup

I've got a Viar 380C compressor, 3 gallon tank, and triple train horn with 1\2" valve. It's pressurized to 200 psi. The pressure switch goes on at 160psi and off at 200 psi. I bought the setup to run a nail gun, but the horn is cool too. It's louder than SH%@!. Scares the b-Jesus out of everyone. The setup is mounted outside the passenger side frame rail below the rear door.
Cheers
Mike
###

Old 04-20-2007, 01:02 AM
somebodyinok
Professional

I would love to have an air horn on my pickup but I guess I will settle for the $10 loudspeaker, which is a whole lotta fun...It has about as much use as the ole air horn, xept I understand that you can air up tires and what not with the compressor.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

Thanks for the replies, fellas. This is my tentative plan: Mount a medium duty compressor and a 2-gallon tank to the frame rail. I will buy an air horn and mount it in a good place, not sure where that will be. I also think it would be cool to run some 1/2" iron pipe to both the front and back of the truck with an air hose connector to fill tires and run accessories.

By the way, my brother-in-law (Dodge salesman in MN) said my truck should roll out of the factory in early May, so it should get to me by mid-May. Where is the factory for the Ram 2500? Are they built in Mexico?

Old 04-20-2007, 12:12 PM
cumminalong

Just a word of caution on the air compressor and tanks. I had the ARB on my last truck, for the front and rear lockers. Those little compressor work fine for that purpose, horns, small tanks, etc. But if you want to fill tires, run tools, accesories, etc., then you NEED a continuous duty compressor like a VIAIR. Don't go cheap, it'll just frustrate you.
[IMG]local://upfiles/39492/25188242175A4EFCB1583F7FAEA7BCB8.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]local://upfiles/39492/6B062456259147AABAE3D12B6B908B86.jpg[/IMG]

As you can see in the pictures, the tank that those little compressors are meant to fill are TINY. Any bigger than that or seriously working it, will burn it up and / or not supply the needed CFM to run tools / accessories.

I ended up mounting two 5 gal air tanks where the spare tire used to be (you can't fit a 36" spare under there anyways). I ALWAYS filled these at the house with my large compressor and used the ARB just to keep them topped off. I would NEVER try to fill those tanks from empty with that ARB, it would have burned it up.

I ran an equalizer hose between the two tanks and a quick disconnect fitting came out where the hole in the bumper is for the tire carrier winch. Then all you had to do was hook up your coiled air line to the disconnect and handle your business. No extra hard lines to run.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:43 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

I knew some guys that used to go fishing out on the beach alot. They had some kind of set up that converted an old air conditioner compressor into an air compressor, driven off the engine. Then they used a tank and some quick disconnects to air up their tires after they left the beach. Food for thought....

Old 04-21-2007, 03:00 AM
jakebrake
Champion

problem with a/c compressors is that the oil is suspeneded in the refrig, thats how the compressor is oiled. When your using it as an air compressor, it doesn't get any oil.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:08 AM
cumminalong

Seriously..............

Get a nice VIAIR setup and a 5 gal tankand you won't be sorry.

If them things can make those ghetto, pimp hoppin', curb creepin', frame draggin' little bounce bounce cars do what they do, they are more than capable of filling your tires.

Quick Reply: Compressed Air Setup