Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Compressed Air Setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Joel_MD
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compressed Air Setup

Hey, fellas! I've been thinking about my soon-to-be-delivered Ram, and all the cool accessories I need to buy for it. Tell me what you guys think about my latest idea:

I would like to install a small 12v air compressor and bolt an air tank somewhere on the chassis. The air would power a decent horn (like this one), plus it would be agood compressed air source for inflating tires and other stuff.

Have any of you guys installed an air horn on your Ram? Any advice about mounting location, manual air valve vs electric solenoid, etc?

Old 04-17-2007, 12:53 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: Compressed Air Setup

I have a Hornblasters set up I've yet to install. I have done a lot of reading though for placement, and also scoured the underside of my truck for placement.

There is literally no place ( on my truck anyway ) to install the air tank or horns besides under the bed. With the spare removed which I have removed anyway, there's a ton of room .

I would suggest you go over to the 3rd gen forum and search for your question or ask it there. Those guys seem to do more air horn installs than diesel guys do.

As for manual or electric, if you get a continuous duty motor ( which you should have ) IMO, electric is the way to go. All you'll need is a switch or button mounted in the cab and the air pump will work when needed. In my case...... I'll need it all the time as I plan to LAY on the horn. My 3 train horns should last about 30 second with my 5 gal tank [sm=badbadbad.gif]

With eveything mounted underneath, I went with all SS lines and a SS air tank ( something you might think about ). The pump will be mounted in the engine compartment to stay dry..

Old 04-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I don't have anything fancy like those horns. I have a set of those red plastic horns that you can find at Pep Boy's for 40 bucks. I mounted my horns facing the ground up behind the front bumper drivers side. I mounted the little compressor under the hood next to the battery. It works OK, but not as good as those found on the big rigs thats for sure.

Last night I actually went to hit them and when I did there was a delay. Kinda like the compressor thing was filling up or something. I dunno. Do they leak air if not used for a while? I hit it today and it went right off. Weird huh?

Old 04-17-2007, 02:54 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

ive got the same horns as you mayfair and i think that it is sensitive to the pressure you give the horn that they go off make sure you hit the horn and not tap it and it should work just fine at least it does for me

Old 04-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I've got a pretty good sized horn button mounted right on top of my steering collum. I've never had the problem before yesterday.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:51 PM
bert0168
Professional

I just ordered a set of the same type of horns. I am wondering if you can connect them to the original horn wiring and how much louder are they over the stock horns?

Old 04-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

loud enough to make the neighbors wet their bed at night

Old 04-17-2007, 05:06 PM
bert0168
Professional

can they be mounted with the stock wiring? I don't want to put a button in the cab and would like to use the original horn contact on the steering wheel.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:53 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain

I had a setup on my last truck. I went to a tractor trailer junkyard and got dual trumpets off of a straight truck and a tank off of a small box truck. No pics, but the tank was mount on a cross member right beside the steering gear box and the horns under the hood facing the engine on passenger side. Compressor was mounted on top of the wheel well, all plumbing was between the fender and fender liner and ran off of a electric solenoid. Looked nice and was LOUD! Was on a '97 1/2 ton, at least it was a dodge though

Old 04-19-2007, 11:31 PM
lynchfort

I just finished installing Seige Engineering train horns on my '06. Tank and compressor are mounted to the frame under the passenger side. Mounted horns to an aluminum angle bracket to bottom of bed just in front of spare. Still have a small air leak but it works. Sorry, no pics.

Quick Reply: Compressed Air Setup