Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2000 Ram Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:33 PM
mjm3335
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2000 Ram Fog Lights

By rights I should be able to relay the fog lights into the headlights using the headlight wire as the signal wire for the relay. To turn them off/on all you should have to do is turn the headlights on/off and it should be safe and not overload anything and offer up a bunch on smoke. And no, no DRL on this truck.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:08 PM
GlenninTexas
Rookie

I suspect the blue comes in from the fuse box with the power.
The switch passes the power through to the red wire (on to the lights) when the switch is engaged and the high beams are off.

Did you have factory installed fog lights that yuo're replacing?

Have you tried to find the end of the wire where the factory lights would be installed. Its probably wrapped up in the wiring harness under your front bumper.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:15 PM
mjm3335

I have a grill gaurd on the truck and the factory lights were broken. The real kicker is that when I bought the truck I never checked the wiring under the bumper, and come to find out the whole harness had been cut for some reason and spliced back together with all green wires. But a trip to the salvage yard and I had that straight.

But anyway, here's the real answer to the fog light issue. There are only two wires...red/orange and blue. Thanks to the manual DieselDemontold me about its only the two wires that run to the lights. The red/orange serves as the power, and the blue as the ground. When the switch is off the blue wire runs a low current to the wire, but when engaged cuts the power and serves as a ground. Its really damn wierd, but works and is what the manual has as the correct wiring specs.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: mjm3335

The red/orange serves as the power, and the blue as the ground. When the switch is off the blue wire runs a low current to the wire, but when engaged cuts the power and serves as a ground. Its really damn wierd, but works and is what the manual has as the correct wiring specs.
Dude that is WHACKED !!!

Car wireing has always miffed me for some reason. Give me household 110 - 220V and I'm fine. Ask me to wire up a new radio in a car and I'm lost.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:52 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MJM,....here's my advice. Every manual I have seen for Rams shows that the fog lamp circuits are already relayed. I would not exceed 100 watt halogen on each side. 55/65's are no problem. It's a 16 gauge wire that is tied directly into the PDC. That will support 10 amps per side with no problem.

I say use the factory wiring. Just lengthen the exsisting wires with a 1 foot extension. Now you'll never have to cut deeper into factory wiring if you ever change lamp styles.

You won't have any problems.

I have spoken......lol.

Just kidding.

Good luck with your ride.

Quick Reply: 2000 Ram Fog Lights