Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Cats, EGTs & California

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 11:00 PM
73Jim
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cats, EGTs & California

I've heard that the Aero has a bit of a boy-racer sound, not whatI want. Looking for a deeper muscle-car type exhaust note.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:25 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

my cat fell off man I swear... I have an aero 4040 where the cat used to be and a 30" magnaflow where the stock muffler used to be. Truck sounds awesome, no drone, good power (no low end loss with the straight thru mag only setup... my previous setup) I never see anything above 1100 F however I dont tow so the biggest loads are going up hiway 80 & 50 into the sierra's.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:43 PM
firemansdodge
Professional

Well I live in California and do not have my CAT on. Turbo back. California does not have mandatory smog checks yet on diesels, but if they do I may be screwed. Probably won't pass I imagine. Deal with it when the time comes.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:52 AM
Ralph78
Professional

ORIGINAL: firemansdodge

Well I live in California and do not have my CAT on. Turbo back. California does not have mandatory smog checks yet on diesels, but if they do I may be screwed. Probably won't pass I imagine. Deal with it when the time comes.
I'm also in California. From what I can find out the older trucks will not be inspected, just the new ones with all of the "Smog" gear on them. Ofcourse they could change their mind any time.

Ralph

Old 04-23-2007, 01:40 AM
beachmstr

My good friend owns an exhaust shop. It is technically illegal to remove the cat and/or muffler from any vehicle. However, most shops will do it for a diesel pickup because it does not need to be smogged. To pass a smog, if you ever have to, the main thing is to have a completely sealed system. I could be wrong, but however, this is how I have interpreted from him. A sealed system is all that is required.

Quick Reply: Cats, EGTs & California