Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Single or multi disk torque converters?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 01:26 PM
toupee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single or multi disk torque converters?

Hi all,
I've been reading a bit on torque converters and I seem to be seeing two different opinions on the same issue. I've seen some manufacturers that swear by single disc converters and some that seem to think that the more discs the better. Does anyone here have any real world experience with these things? Better yet, has anyone tried multiple brands in their truck? Any failures either way? I don't know a whole lot about them, but it seems to me the fewer the number of moving parts the better, so if a single disc works why not just use it?

Old 04-19-2007, 03:59 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Default RE: Single or multi disk torque converters?

If you can get Dave Goerend on the phone he is the man who can tell you what you need. He's a very nice guy and will take the time to hear what you want and how you plan on using your truck. But he is also very busy and at times he's hard to reach. Here is the URL to his web page: http://www.goerend.com/

Old 04-20-2007, 02:45 AM
Ralph78
Professional

Toupee

I have an ATS 5 Star Torque Converter, it is a "Billet" unit and is Guar. for 150,000 Miles. (You must have the trans serviced by a shop every 15,000 miles). I also have the "Commander" Lockup controller. It realy seems to be bulletproof, but it is expensive.

Ralph

Old 04-20-2007, 11:46 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ralph78

Toupee

I have an ATS 5 Star Torque Converter, it is a "Billet" unit and is Guar. for 150,000 Miles. (You must have the trans serviced by a shop every 15,000 miles). I also have the "Commander" Lockup controller. It realy seems to be bulletproof, but it is expensive.

Ralph

I concur. I also have the same setup. The ATS tc is a 5 disc, square tab engagement, clutch setup. When it locks up you have a true 100 mechanical connection from motor to tranny. The factory tc is designed for around 600-650 ft/lbs of torque.

If you have major hp/tq now, or plan to beef things up in the future, then a multi disc tc is the only way to go. I believe that ATS still make a billet 3 disc version.

Like Ralph said, BIG BUCKS........ but the quality, durability, and performance are unmatched. When my tc locks up, it snaps back into your seat....lol. I love it.

Good luck with your ride.

Quick Reply: Single or multi disk torque converters?