Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Cold Air Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 06:43 PM
denvas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intakes

I know this has probably been discussed to ad nausem here but I am new to the forum and new to the Dodge Cummins. Last weekend I purchased a 2007 Mega Cab 2500 with the 5.9L CTD in it. My question is this, would a stage 3 cold air intake improve the operation of the engine and provide better fuel milage? If so then which one do you recommend I install? The only manufacturer'ssite I have found that lists estimated improvements in horse power and torque is the AFE site, but even they don't estimate what the improvement in fuel milage would be. This truck will be used mainly for highway driving to and from the ranch and will only be hauling a trailer about 25% of the time. If the cold air intake would help improve mpg then when should it be installed? The dealer recommended that I wait until at least 15,000 miles before making any modifications. Your help is great appreciated.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Midnight Runner
Champion
Default RE: Cold Air Intakes

I don't know why they say 15,000 miles. I have 11,000 on my 04SRT-10 and have
a K&N CAI. on it, and then some.I also have it on the 04 HEMI. I like it alot.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:59 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

If you just want more air flow then use a drop in like the Amsoil EA air filters. They give better air flow then a stock filter will and they are good for 100,000 miles. They use no oil so you don't have to worry about it getting in your torque tube or turbo and to clean them you just us compressed air. The retail cost is only $47.95 that is a lot cheaper then a new CAI setup.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:15 PM
mjm3335

K&N filters have always worked well for me. But I am looking at getting an AFE system.I know some people that have them and have seen a difference in HP gain and mileage. Gains differ from truck to truck. But the big thing is that no matter what you do, getting rid of the stock filter will make your truck breathe better and in the end run better.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Midnight Runner
Champion

You can use the K&N drop in to that is a real good filter, if your not looking for
all the HP. you can get. I'm a HP. nut.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intakes