Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Ultra-Low-Sulfur Diesel Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 04:47 PM
minex
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra-Low-Sulfur Diesel Fuel

To start, I want to say that I am new when it comes to diesel fuel, so bare with me.

Anyway, I have a question since I've recently purchased a 2007 CTD. I assume that I am *required* to put ULSD fuel into this truck. What happens if I use LSD or other types of diesel fuel? Has anyone run into any issues NOT finding ULSD fuel at gas stations? I'm reading this Exxon FAQ. These statements scare me :

Is all diesel fuel sold at gas stations and truck stops in the U.s. now ULSD?
No. At present the EPA requires only 80% of the highway diesel fuel manufactured in the U.S. to be ULSD. Consumers may still find some LSD at services stations and truck stops until December 1, 2010 when EPA regulations will require all highway diesel fuel to be ULSD.

What vehicles require ULSD?
Vehicles with diesel engines manufactured in the 2007 model year or later require the use of ULSD for proper operation. Using LSD or other improper fuel may reduce the efficiency and durability of engines, permanently damage advanced emissions control systems, reduce fuel economy and possibly prevent the vehicles from running at all. Additionally, manufacturer warranties are likely to be voided by improper fuel use.
At present the EPA requires only 80% of the highway diesel fuel manufactured in the U.S. to be ULSD? That scares me. I have images of pulling into a gas station towing my RV in dire need of fuel only to see that they have LSD. I guess I should be aware of the fuel I put into my truck -- unlike the time I accidently put diesel in my 1000cc sports bike.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:41 PM
kingdog
Professional
Default RE: Ultra-Low-Sulfur Diesel Fuel

Hye bud
What motor do you have?

Ralph

Old 04-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Yeah, this is going to be a hot button I'm afraid.

I'm told that pretty much all of the stations now carry the ULSD so you should be fine wherever you go in the US. I don't know what happens when / if you cross the border though.

Kingdog asked a pretty good and question though ... which engine have you got? I'm pretty sure the 5.9's are fine running either.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:20 PM
minex
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Mayfair
Kingdog asked a pretty good and question though ... which engine have you got? I'm pretty sure the 5.9's are fine running either.
I should look at the manual for recommended fuel. Anyway, its the 2007 5.9 Liter CTD.

Also, I assume that the pump will indicate the type of fuel? I've only filled up once and that pump had a sticker indicating it was ULSD. Are there labels on the LSD fuel?

Old 04-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

I live in Maryland, and there is an "Xtra Mart" gas station near me that sells LSD; they don't even carry ULSD. As far as I know, only the new 6.7L requires ULSD. All of the 5.9L engines will run fine on either variety. Since the ULSD apparently has a lower lubricity, you may want to fill up with LSD if you can find it.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:40 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

minex,

You can use either LSD or ULSD in your 2007 5.9L engine. Only the new 6.7L engine is required to only burn ULSD.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:23 PM
mjm3335

USLD took a lot of people by surprise when the stickers started showing up on fuel pumps. But like DBLR said you should be ok for now, and soon enough most pumps will be switched over to USLD anyway. It sucks for those of us with the dreaded 98+ lift pump since the low sulfur is partly to blame for the gaskets giving way and the pumps going out. That and in my opinion ULSD burns like junk and doesn't have the power LSD fuel.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:39 PM
zerodog

B20 baby.. That is the answer. Cummins said 02 and newer is approved for it now. It is smoother, quiter, and cheaper.

Quick Reply: Ultra-Low-Sulfur Diesel Fuel