Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Block heater and 220 volts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Charles Darwin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block heater and 220 volts?

Just wondering what I have to do with my block heater to use it here in Europe where we have 220 volts.
Are there any tricks or will I need a transformer? How big (in watts) would that one have to be?
Any simple solution appreciated...
CD.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:05 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Block heater and 220 volts?

You would NOT want to hook 220 volts to that heater, obviously....lol.

You would also want a circuit capable of carrying 10 amps. The heater will operate at 50 or 60HZ (cycles).

My heater I believe, is600 watts. They draw a little over and a little under that amount depending on outside temperature. I would think your heater is in the same vicinity as far as wattage.

Hope this helps.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:21 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain

U guys don't have 110 anywhere?

Here at somewhere like Home Depot you can buy a step-down transformer that you plug into 220 and it has a receptacle that only gives you 110, they run around $10-20. You can find them on the internet too.
http://www.directsalesinc.com/stepupanddow.html

Old 04-22-2007, 04:13 AM
JJHays

Transformer is the way to go. I lived in germany for8 years and my state side electronic stuff for the most part was ok on the transformer except for a ole 19" tv and a VHS recorder that started smoking. Get the ones that are big and heavy, not the ones for travel and fit in the palm of your hand (found out the hard way). Also any electrical purchases while overseas always look for dual voltage so you can use it stateside as well. Cummins probably makes a 220V element but it is much more a pain in the *** installing itthen just using a transformer. If you are military then your PX/BX or lending closet has transformers cheap. If on the economy a local electronic repair outlet will do the trick.

Quick Reply: Block heater and 220 volts?