Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2007 Rear Taillight Assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007 | 01:49 AM
JT824Megacab
|
Professional
Default 2007 Rear Taillight Assembly?

I just ordered the rear taillight assembly found on the new 2007 trucks. They have (2) round sections that stick out. I like that look over the ones on my 2006. Does anyone know if the 2007 lights can be installed on a 2006 truck? The Dodge parts guy did not know, but I ordered them anyway......

Old 04-28-2007 | 01:53 AM
dixiedodge7369
Professional
Default RE: 2007 Rear Taillight Assembly?

they should its pretty much the same truck with some slight styling ques id say they should fit if not some slight slight modification would be in order which is always fun!

Old 04-28-2007 | 03:58 AM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

You're going to have to cut wires, trace, and splice. The housings will fit in there just fine using the same two screws but the wires are NOT plug-n-play. The 2006 has 3 bulbs and the 2007 has 2 bulbs. The harness conectors are very different. I went the opposite route as you and installed APC led tails for an '06 on my '07. The funny part is I don't like the APC's anymore and am sticking the stock tails with upgraded spiderlight led bulbs back in lol. If you buy some spiderlights yourself for those '07 tails be sure to get a spiderlight that is a replacement for a 3157 size bulb because the stupid aftermarket websites are selling spiderlights that fit '06s and earlier. The bulbs and all this stuff are different on '07s. I discovered these things the hard way so no-one else will have to. I've posted this info on here before.

Old 04-29-2007 | 04:59 PM
JT824Megacab
|
Professional

ORIGINAL: DiEseLjunKy

You're going to have to cut wires, trace, and splice. The housings will fit in there just fine using the same two screws but the wires are NOT plug-n-play. The 2006 has 3 bulbs and the 2007 has 2 bulbs. The harness conectors are very different. I went the opposite route as you and installed APC led tails for an '06 on my '07. The funny part is I don't like the APC's anymore and am sticking the stock tails with upgraded spiderlight led bulbs back in lol. If you buy some spiderlights yourself for those '07 tails be sure to get a spiderlight that is a replacement for a 3157 size bulb because the stupid aftermarket websites are selling spiderlights that fit '06s and earlier. The bulbs and all this stuff are different on '07s. I discovered these things the hard way so no-one else will have to. I've posted this info on here before.
Thanks for the heads-up. I hope I can find a way to make it work....

Old 04-29-2007 | 06:23 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

It can be frustrating figuring them out. More so than it would appear. There'll be 5 wires from the 07 taillamp. 3 from the brake/marker/turn bulb and 2 from the backup bulb. I'm thinking there's either 7 or 8 wires from your '06 harness so those extra 2 or 3 wires will need to be properly spliced. One of the extras will be easy cause its a ground (the solid colored wire) the other striped colored wires, well, it should be easy to figure out since your are replacing one stock housing for another but in my case going to the 06 LED it was a major pita cause they're not regular bulbs and it wasnt so simple as looking to where the wires went to to see what they did. I had to splice and test splice and test splice and test splice and test. But again you shouldnt have this trouble.. Anyways, next weekend I'm pulling those APC led's outta there and putting the stocker 07s back in. If you have any problems figuring things out let me know and I'll look at my wires and see if I can help out.

Old 04-29-2007 | 11:38 PM
Silverline
Veteran

If you're working with added lights in place of what you had on the stock lights I would recommend relaying them to insure you don't overload your wires and end up frying something. A simple 20amp relay should be able to fit behind the assembly housing without a problem. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: 2007 Rear Taillight Assembly?