Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

straight pipe= rice burner

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 04:35 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: straight pipe= rice burner

well its sunday and i cant find anyone open but i looked in the back of my truck and found the stainless downpipe i dident put in from my pipes. i kept the stock down pipe in since i was going with the same size pipe (4") and there will be just enough straight pipe on the down pipe that i can work on it today and put it in where my muffler is at right now.....ill let you guys know how it turns out when i get er' done! thanks

Old 04-29-2007, 10:39 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

well i swaped the pipe for the muffler and it did make a diffrence for the better! it is still very loud but i do like the throughtier sound that it makes. i think it is a little loud for my taste and it seems as if i did lose all bottom power/torque. im sure it has to do with the lack of back pressure. if i buy the aero will that restore alot because it is a straight thru muffler. if not anyone out there have a muffler that restores the back pressure. im looking to quite down the truck a little bit and get my bottom end back without making it sound like a little honda like my last straight thru muffler did

Old 04-30-2007, 03:36 AM
redneckracer212
Rookie

Hey man i'm not sure if you have a tip or not, but my buddies truck was doing the same thing yours is doing and he took the tip off and it sounded fine.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I don't think you can go wrong adding the Aero that's for sure. Even though it IS a straight through muffler, it DOES restrict the flow a little by downsizing the flow. I took some pics of mine before installing it.
Check em out ..

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/4E5C06E7C4DE4E1DB7DC639A368981E9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/54CC40CE3FB4421894CFBF5CED7BA13F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-30-2007, 03:01 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain

It will quiet it down but you dont want to create back pressure on a diesel. You are actually losing power doing that because the back pressure slows your turbo down.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:28 PM
Mayfair
Legend

With an Aero, you are moving / pushing air because of it's design. The design of an Aero forces air out of it by moving air over it.

It's kinda confusing .... your best bet is to check out Aero's website. they do a much better job of explaining it than I do.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:13 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

i gave in to spending more money on that exhaust, i got a good deal on ebay last night for $250 with a $50 ebay gift card so its costing me really only 200 shipped. i got the 4040xl thinking that the resinator will also help to quite down exhaust more and possibly making more of a restriction. please correct me if im wrong because i might be able to change the order by tonight. i hope this is the answer to my probloms! (you guys with the straight thru are crazy! my truck hurts my ears with the windows down)

thanks again for the advice guys!

Old 04-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I too have the resonated version, andI love it. I think you'll be more than happy with it.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:38 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

well when it comes in ill have to post my $.02! thanks mayfair! also redneckcracker, i do not have a tip, its just straight pipe from the turbo being dumped from the same place as stock.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:53 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

well i installed by aero xl yesterday and out of the 3 ways i tried, straight pipe, borla muffler, aero muffler. the areo is the best....but i am still getting a hint of that coffee-can exhaust sound that those civics have. not as much as the other muffler and when i had the straight pipes on it sounded good but to loud. i am happy with the sound now just because of the price ive paid and the running around ive done but i have to be honest...i do miss stock. i have 2 questions for another improvment on sound..... a 5" tip, i have a 4" pipe now would that tip maybe make the sound a little diffrent or are they just for looks? and also not that im planning on buying one but would a chip of some sort make my engine work diffrently to maybe change the sound. i also have read that there are settings on those computers for better mileage...is this correct also? every ones $.02 welcome![&:]

Quick Reply: straight pipe= rice burner