Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Spare Tire Information

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 07:16 PM
JT824Megacab
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Tire Information

I have 315/70/17 BGF A/T tires on my truck and I was told that a spare tire of that size would not fit underneath where the spare tire is located.Thatwas always problematic because if I ever got a flat while on a road trip thespare tire (265/70/17) would notwork. Well guess what folks, I boughtextra tire, another BFG A/T315/70/17, from Costco of course. I took my spare tire out and mounted the new tire onthe rim of the spare. I was originally gonna just throw thenew spare tire in the bed. Ihave a big cross country road trip coming up and wanteda spare just inI got a flat. Since I'm towing my boat that could result in a big tow bill,1-for the truck and 1-for the boat.Anyway, Itried mounting the sparetire underneath with the 315/70/17 and guesswhat? It fit!!!! It took a little work to get it on but its mounted. I did have to push my exahust over a little. I alsowanna get a heat shield to place on the section of tailpipe that is near the tire. But overall it worked.

So for all of you guys/gals with bigger tires and dont have the proper spare, it will fit under your truck........

Old 05-14-2007, 07:22 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Default RE: Spare Tire Information

that is true, I have one under mine. fits perfectly. I have to check for the heat shielding, did not think of that.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:33 PM
R0oster31
Veteran

For a heat shield you could probably just use one of those exhaust patches that has the noise blanket or whatever it is called. You could just put it on your exhaust pipe even though there is no hole to cover.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:21 AM
Super Dave
Veteran

I helped a friend put 35" MT baja claws on his 05 powerwagon. The spare was a lot bigger than the stocker, it doesn't fit up quite as high as the original, but it fits fine.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:13 AM
sharx ram
Champion

ORIGINAL: JT824Megacab

So for all of you guys/gals with bigger tires and dont have the proper spare, it will fit under your truck........
not all of us but I know what you mean, my stock spare was the same size as the other 4

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Information