Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Loss of power when I first took off

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 02:55 PM
SilverSmoker
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of power when I first took off

It has happened a couple of times when I first start up the truck and go to leave. I let the truck warm up a little, then when I go to leave the truck doesnt have any getup. It feels like I might be running on a couple of cylinders? Its so bad it would take me about 2 min. or so to get to 60mph. Freaked me out, luckily when it happened at home I live out in the country on a back road and at work its a four lane road. I pulled out of work and everyone had to go around cause my truck had no ***. FYI, its an 02 3500 dually 4x4 CTD(of course)49,000mi completely stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Ken

Old 05-17-2007, 03:04 PM
swilsone
Default RE: Loss of power when I first took off

It sounds like something I had going on a few weeks and about $4000 earlier. First thing I'd do is have the lift pump checked. And do it NOW! You'll ruin that injector pump in a hurry...better to get that outta the way first.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I'd check for water in the fuel first only because it's pretty easy to do, but yeah, it DOES kinda sound like a lift pump. I'm guessing you don't have gauges yet huh?

Old 05-17-2007, 05:58 PM
SilverSmoker
Rookie

Nope, no gauges yet! Gonna get Edge Juice with Attitude. Still under warranty, got an appointment next thurs. at dealership. I was thinkin maybe water in the gas, but only did it a couple of times and it was when I first start it. It doesnt do it after I shut it down and start it back up after its warmed up. At least not yet!

Old 05-18-2007, 03:51 AM
02 cummins 18

That is exactly what happened to my 02 at first only while cold then started happening after warm both feed pump and high press pump where bad . I havent talked to one person whith a 02 that hasnt replaced the pump between 80 & 100 thousand

Old 05-24-2007, 09:23 PM
SilverSmoker
Rookie

K, update... I had the truck looked at today, low pressure from the lift pump and code for the injector pump. They changed out the lift pump and said the injector pump checked out ok. Well when I got the truck the dealership was closing up. I left and not even 2 mi. down the road it does the same thing. Called the dealership, they said to call back tomorrow and make another appointment. Bythe time I got home, about 20 minutes maybe 15 miles away, it did it around a half dozen times!! If I let off the gas and get back into it that usually fixed it. Gonna tell them to check MAP sensor, and change the fuel filter, any other suggestions? All is greatly appreciated!!

Ken

Old 05-25-2007, 03:48 AM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: SilverSmoker

They changed out the lift pump and said the injector pump checked out ok.

any other suggestions? All is greatly appreciated!!
Yeah ... have them replace that injection pump their dodging having to do.

How do you "test" an injection pump?

Quick Reply: Loss of power when I first took off