Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

dumb questions on throwing codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007 | 03:14 PM
DiEseLjunKy
|
Veteran
Default dumb questions on throwing codes

I've got a qzilla xzt and wondering about some things here before I install. My truck has never thrown a code as far as I know but it could with this on there. If it throws one does it display in the dash somewhere? What will it show? I've also read here that can take your truck to autozone to have codes read or something like that. Can they clear them too or would it have to be taken to the dealer for that? I thought after a few months being here I would have picked up on these things but I haven't. People just take it for granted you know these things. Can someone explain this stuff to me just in case I run into a problem with the xzt?

Old 05-26-2007 | 07:05 PM
DiEseLjunKy
|
Veteran
Default RE: dumb questions on throwing codes

Now I know one of you experts out there can explain this to me. Cumminalong or sharx or Steveram or Drew (sorry if I left out another expert)? Can somebody explain this simple stuff for me? Btw I installed the xzt and it's pretty cool. Hard to belive how much a difference only 60hp can make. It blows a nice puff of black smoke on every upshift so now I've got loud whistle and black smoke. Life is good

Old 05-26-2007 | 07:24 PM
cumminalong
Default RE: dumb questions on throwing codes

See " " " " " " throughout, as there will be a few.

First.....if the CEL comes on and is steady........no big deal. If it comes on and is blinking.......SHUT THAT PUPPY DOWN!

It "shouldn't" throw any codes if it's installled correctly and is working like it should.

If it does throw a code, it "should" display the CEL on the dash.

I have never been able to get mine to show the actual code on the dash, like folks have said you can get it to do with 3 key cycles.

You can get the code read at any of the auto parts stores. "Most" of them can clear them right there. If it's a hard code, meaning that the condition still exists, it will come right back. If it was a one time code, or soft code, it'll go away when you clear it.

It "may" throw a code that doesn't trip the engine light.

On mine, with the turbo timer, I sometimes get a code that does not trip the CEL. I get an invalid SKM key. Basically, it's looking for the key in the ignition, but all it sees is the truck is running without the key in and it sets a code. With the Attitude, I just erase it and be done with it. You'd never even notice it without a reader, but the dealer would know that something was up. If you do ever have to bring the truck in and don't buy a reader (they are fairly cheap for a basic one), go to the parts store and have them check BEFORE you go in.

Quick Reply: dumb questions on throwing codes