Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

How to speed up Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:28 PM
bwrong
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to speed up Turbo

I added a economy chip to my 2006 stock CTD. It added 50hp which is nice butI now can really feel the lag time before Turbo kicks in. What can I do to help this?

Thanks

Old 05-25-2007, 10:41 PM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to speed up Turbo

Open up your intake and exhaust for better flow.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:59 PM
jakebrake
Champion

other than what was mentioned, The only other thing would be a different turbo

Old 05-25-2007, 11:09 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

Agreed... open up the intake & exhaust and it'll rev really nice.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:35 PM
bwrong
Rookie

The local Cummins guy says the 2006 has a 4" down pipe (???) and adding a 4" exhaust will do nothing. Are you talking about removing the muffler?

Also said that Cummins says the K&N filter does not doa good job and will void the warranty. Are there better filters available? This is a local dealer mechanic that has a greatrep with CTD's. He has no problem with the chipjust says take it out if major warranty problem comes up.

I know nothing about the CTD except I really like mynew toy.

Thanks

Old 05-26-2007, 02:01 AM
moconst
Veteran

He is right about the DP and the whole system is 4", So just go with a free flow muffler or no muffler at all. What kind of chip are you running?

Old 05-26-2007, 02:40 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

my setup... kitty MIA, aero 4040 where the cat used to be & 30" magnaflow muffler where the stock muffler used to be... works really good for me...

Old 05-26-2007, 03:15 AM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added a economy chip to my 2006 stock CTD. It added 50hp which is nice butI now can really feel the lag time before Turbo kicks in. What can I do to help this?
What brand chip did you install?

Old 05-26-2007, 09:50 AM
bwrong
Rookie

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...wermodules.htm MilageMiser

I talked with the guy I bought this from. He said he opened everything up on his 2006 and it helped a ton. Mine has plenty of power but there is a small lag time before the turbo cuts in. I drove a 2004 with the Banks on it last night but it was a 6 speed and I could not shift it fast enough to tell what was going on. It had a little lag but I would hit the limiter so fast it didn't matter, I was bouncing off the windshield. I am going to try and find a automatic to try.

How about opinions on the K&N Filter. Again the CTD guy here says it is not a very good filter and does a poor job of keeping trash out of the engine. His comments not mine.

Another question. You guys that are running automatics with chips that add 120hp+, will the tranny hold up to them. I can tell mine does not like the added hp from a dead stand still. I can already tell I might have to try more but I don't want to buy a transmission the first year.

Thanks

Old 05-26-2007, 12:01 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: bwrong

How about opinions on the K&N Filter. Again the CTD guy here says it is not a very good filter and does a poor job of keeping trash out of the engine. His comments not mine.

Another question. You guys that are running automatics with chips that add 120hp+, will the tranny hold up to them. I can tell mine does not like the added hp from a dead stand still. I can already tell I might have to try more but I don't want to buy a transmission the first year.

Thanks
Well, I know some folks like them and some folks don't. I've had a K&N filter on nearly every vehicle I've had and have had zero problems with them in that area. I just cleaned the filter a few days ago, checked the intake tube and turbo fins and there was zero crud in there. Just my .02 on that.

As for the HP on the auto. I "try" not to run my Juice above level 3 (70 hp / 150 tq) from a dead stop, other wise the tranny isn't too happy. Once I'm moving (like on the highway) and want to screw with somebody, I'll put it on level 4 (100 / 180). I always have the tranny slip on the Attitude and I think I watch this more than I watch thst EGT or boost, as I never have problems with those 2.

If I hammer on it, even rolling already, on 4 or higher the tranny will slip once you get up over 2200 rpms or so.

Normally, I've been driving on level 2 (40 / 100) during my day to day driving. Keeps things nice and happy.

Quick Reply: How to speed up Turbo