Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Stupid question........

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 03:17 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stupid question........

ORIGINAL: Ramman18

I've read on here that you don't get good mileage with your 24v. Any new info you've dug up? The FASS didn't help? I'd hate to find the truck of my dreams then get the same mileage I do with my gas hog.
Nope, I haven't found the answer yet.

I find it hard to believe that I drive any differently than everyone else here so I find it difficult to believe that it's ALL me. I DO live in the city, so I DO have a lot of "light to light" traffic, however my Pop previously owned the truck and he seemed to think he was getting around 16 or so when he owned the truck before moving out to the country. He DID say that he thought that he remembered him mpg dropping 1 mpg once he put the K&N on for some odd reason. He even put the stocker back on and it went back up, but he felt the K&N did a better job so he switched it back and sucked up the loss. This was back in 99 or so when diesel fuel was still kinda cheap.

I'm stumped.

The FASS didn't help. The K&N didn't help. The Aero didn't help. The Brew MIGHT have helped a bit, so I MAY try that again. The 2 stroke didn't help, but it didn't hurt either.

It seems like NONE of the mods that I did either helped, or hurt at all, however now that i think about it I think once I added the FASS I DID notice about a 1mpg loss.

For some reason the 3rd gens seem to be getting better mileage. I don't know why because I thought we both used the same engines, but for some reason they seem to be getting upwards of 17+ whereas I struggle down in the mid 13's.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:43 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

ORIGINAL: Ramman18

I've read on here that you don't get good mileage with your 24v. Any new info you've dug up? The FASS didn't help? I'd hate to find the truck of my dreams then get the same mileage I do with my gas hog.
Nope, I haven't found the answer yet.

I find it hard to believe that I drive any differently than everyone else here so I find it difficult to believe that it's ALL me. I DO live in the city, so I DO have a lot of "light to light" traffic, however my Pop previously owned the truck and he seemed to think he was getting around 16 or so when he owned the truck before moving out to the country. He DID say that he thought that he remembered him mpg dropping 1 mpg once he put the K&N on for some odd reason. He even put the stocker back on and it went back up, but he felt the K&N did a better job so he switched it back and sucked up the loss. This was back in 99 or so when diesel fuel was still kinda cheap.

I'm stumped.

The FASS didn't help. The K&N didn't help. The Aero didn't help. The Brew MIGHT have helped a bit, so I MAY try that again. The 2 stroke didn't help, but it didn't hurt either.

It seems like NONE of the mods that I did either helped, or hurt at all, however now that i think about it I think once I added the FASS I DID notice about a 1mpg loss.

For some reason the 3rd gens seem to be getting better mileage. I don't know why because I thought we both used the same engines, but for some reason they seem to be getting upwards of 17+ whereas I struggle down in the mid 13's.
Mayfair after seeing your footprints in the sand when you were in FL I know what your fuel milage problem is.

[IMG]local://upfiles/56817/65D27E07746F4C94B5D135AF4FE8F9D8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-31-2007, 03:44 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm kinda stumped as to why your mileage is so low. . .my last tank without addatives got me 17.2, with addatives 18.8. remember I'm runnning 4.10's and at 70mph I'm cranking out 2300rpm.[:'(]

Old 05-31-2007, 04:03 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: bajafun

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

Ohhhhhhhh, you mean two-ball compound w/ unique roll-on applicator......

[sm=alcoholic.gif]

[sm=happybounce.gif]
Ya liked that one, huh?

Old 05-31-2007, 04:30 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Drew

I'm kinda stumped as to why your mileage is so low. . .my last tank without addatives got me 17.2, with addatives 18.8. remember I'm runnning 4.10's and at 70mph I'm cranking out 2300rpm.[:'(]
Do you think that any of it has to do with these programmers that you guy's all seem to use?

That seems to be the one thing that all of you guy's have in common that I don't have.

What does a stock truck get ? One without any upgrades at all ??

Granted, with that tire calculator that I used yesterday it looks like my mpg might be about .5 off, but that only get's me to a 14.1 mpg. Cruising at 70mph my tach is a little before the 2K mark. I can almost get to 75 before it crosses the line I think.

Are you still using the brew in it's original formula, or have you switched it up a bit?

Old 05-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

Mayfair I realy hate to kick a man when he is down, but in your case I know you can take it.
On my trip from SW FL to Chicago over the weekend I squeezed 722 miles out of one tank.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:49 PM
Mayfair
Legend

pfft .... I could do that too if I had a fuel tank the size of yours ...

Old 05-31-2007, 04:54 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

That was just the stock tank.
If you want to count the tank in the bed I can go almost 3,000 miles between fillups.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:36 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Captain Squalus
If you want to count the tank in the bed I can go almost 3,000 miles between fillups.
Ya here that?

Phones for you......God called......He said to tell you, "YOU SUCK!"

J/K

Old 05-31-2007, 05:53 PM
Mayfair
Legend

LMAO !!!

Between that and the "Eat Poop" comment you made earlier, your on a ROLL !!!

Quick Reply: Stupid question........