Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

newb with a lot of questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007 | 02:59 AM
jakebrake
Champion
Default RE: newb with a lot of questions

On the2nd gen 24v'sthe stock trans will hold up to 605ft lbs before it starts slipping, I have a dyno sheet to prove it.

Old 05-31-2007 | 03:59 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Welcome aboard Fuel !!

I don't think you'll regret getting a Diesel Ram at all. You can mod the crap out of it I think for a heck of a lot less than it would cost to mod a gasser, and it'll hold up a heck of a lot better.

As far as the Stang goes, don't sweat it. I thin all of us at one time or another owned a Ford.

Old 05-31-2007 | 09:51 AM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Fuel

i LOVE mustangs and that is a limited production car so please don't knock the car, cause i also love the cummins trucks-can't i have the best of both worlds- amd ok i won't do it again
I'm just teasing you brotha.

Hell, wait until you see some of the sadistic pictures Mayfair throws up. They'll make you throw up in your mouth. [:'(]

Old 05-31-2007 | 11:10 AM
Fuel
|

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

Welcome aboard Fuel !!

I don't think you'll regret getting a Diesel Ram at all. You can mod the crap out of it I think for a heck of a lot less than it would cost to mod a gasser, and it'll hold up a heck of a lot better.

As far as the Stang goes, don't sweat it. I thin all of us at one time or another owned a Ford.
yeah, so what kind of mods, i was looking at a built engine and blower combo for the stang and that was gonig to cost be upwards of $7k

Old 05-31-2007 | 11:51 AM
cumminalong

It won't cost ANYWHERE near that to start doing some nice mods to a CTD.

Basically, just by opening up the intake ($300), opening up the exhaust ($200 - $800, your choice on that) and adding a programmer or box ($400 - $1000), you can max out the power that the rest of the driveline can handle.

Just that stuff there can easily.........EASILY........net you upwards of 120 - 150+ HP and 250 - 300+ lbs of tq.

For around $1500, you'll have a combo that will rip the door handles off of that 'stang.

But first, second, last and foremost a set of gauges is a MUST. Don't do anything else util you have a good set of gauges. Making power means making heat and this needs to be monitored.

Modding a diesel is nothing like modding a gasser. The power comes real easy, but you gotta make the necessary drivetrain mods to support / handle the power a diesel is capable of.

Start throwing more than400 ponies and over 700 lbs of tq at the stock tranny / torque converter and something is gonna let go. Getting a good TC and shfit kit is a good start, but that doesn't address the internals. If you want a built tranny to handle anything you can throw at it, it'll run upwards of $3500 - $5000.

Old 05-31-2007 | 12:18 PM
Drew
Professional

just to give you an idea. . .I spent $650 on my box. . .stock to the wheels these trucks put out around ~280 hp. I turned my box up a little over half way and pushed a bit over 390 before the clutch said no more, and I still have unused power settings. A friend of minedecided to run me one day in his 99 stang. it was pretty much stock, 4.6L V8, only difference was ataller running gear. . .he let out of it when he saw my front tires smoking when I launched. he wants to run again since he's replaced the engine to a 5.4L. . .he may have a chance now

Old 05-31-2007 | 12:48 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I have a mustang still 72 mach 1 and love it. But my truck is my truck and if I had to make a choice, the mustang would be gone before the truck hands down...Welcome

Old 05-31-2007 | 02:31 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: jimmydaleo

if I had to make a choice, the mustang would be gone before the truck hands down...
The picture doesn't get any clearer than that !!

Old 05-31-2007 | 10:33 PM
Fuel
|

this is great to hear guys, can't wait to get a truck

Old 05-31-2007 | 11:53 PM
Fuel
|

btw what years are what generations?

Quick Reply: newb with a lot of questions