Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

newb with a lot of questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007 | 02:08 AM
Fuel
|
Default newb with a lot of questions

i have always been a mustang guy and have owned three so far, but with my current financial situation i can really only afford a carand a truck for work and i need a truck bad(using an 86 checy blazer right now[:@])

i have always loved dodge trucks and once had a 98 quad cab 4x4 5.2l, but it was a dog and could hardly pull my boat(which i no longerhave either). to make a long story short i like power and going fast and have modded every vechicle i have ever owned. i would really like a cummins(like around a 99 or something) and was wondering how hard they are to mod, and in also what do u do to make them more pwerful, -how would they measure up to my mustangs

thanks and sorry for such a newb post

Old 05-31-2007 | 02:21 AM
cumminalong
Default RE: newb with a lot of questions

Hey fuel.......Welcome to DF!

Don't sweat the nemb question, everybody was a nemb somewhere, sometime.

If you want something that'll pull, race, run, drag, etc.............you'll love a CTD!

After having this truck about a year, coming from a V10 Super Duty, I am absolutely amazed everyday at the power this thing has. It gets looser and more responsive everyday. I swear, it begs to get abused.

If opinions matter........I'll own this truck until it just can't be fixed anymore.

Old 05-31-2007 | 02:26 AM
Fuel
|

that's great to hear man, just wish i knew a little bit about the modding of these things,

and yeah thnaks on the newb thing, i am a member of a couple of mustang forums and i used to be a newb there, but definetly not anymore so thanks for the input

Old 05-31-2007 | 02:36 AM
cumminalong

As far as the modding goes, the third gen 24V's are the easiest to get power out of. Most of it's electronic and is is easy as a programmer or module. I mean the only limitation is the ability of the transmission to hold the power. You can easily squeeze 70 hp and 150 lb/ft of tq out of even the tamest of boxes / programmers. Pushing 160 extra hp at the push of a button is easy, but the stock autotranny will only hold about 70 extra ponies before it's gonna starts slipping and the manual will hold about 100 before it start letting loose.

The mods on these things are insanely easy, just make sure the supporting mods are there.

On my truck, if I bump up more than 70 hp / 150 lb/ft of tq, I make sure it's not from a stand still. On the highway, I'll crank it up a bit more, but from a stop light, it beats the crap outta the tranny.

For a 99, get a Smarty programmer from Mad Electronics or an Edge Comp box and go from there. You'll love it.

Old 05-31-2007 | 02:38 AM
gtxpooch
All Star

Converting them one at a time, Welcome to our world!!

Old 05-31-2007 | 02:40 AM
cumminalong

Just do us all a favor................get rid of the picture of the Disgustang!

Old 05-31-2007 | 02:45 AM
gtxpooch
All Star

Just do us all a favor................get rid of the picture of the Disgustang!
Now that's cold!! But funny

Old 05-31-2007 | 02:46 AM
moconst
Veteran

Thats the kind of tang nobody want to see, lol. Welcome to DF!

Old 05-31-2007 | 02:48 AM
Fuel
|

so basically it is all in the tuning and tranny?

Old 05-31-2007 | 02:50 AM
Fuel
|

i LOVE mustangs and that is a limited production car so please don't knock the car, cause i also love the cummins trucks-can't i have the best of both worlds- amd ok i won't do it again

Quick Reply: newb with a lot of questions