Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

goose neck hitch

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 06:56 PM
1Normy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: goose neck hitch

Here is what NOT to get! It is made by Curt Mfg. and the idots who installed it drilled holes in the frame to mount it to boot!

Unfortunately it was on the truck when I bought it! I like the B& W setup and I have also looked at the Reese/Drawtite signature series mounting that allows you use the same frame to pull either a 5th wheel or Gooseneck!

Old 11-16-2007, 01:09 AM
FroneDaddy
Captain

ORIGINAL: 1Normy

Here is what NOT to get! It is made by Curt Mfg. and the idots who installed it drilled holes in the frame to mount it to boot!

Unfortunately it was on the truck when I bought it! I like the B& W setup and I have also looked at the Reese/Drawtite signature series mounting that allows you use the same frame to pull either a 5th wheel or Gooseneck!
I got your pics in for 'ya

What don't you like about it? You should've seen the one that was in my truck whenI got it. They welded a piece of 1/4" plate between the frame, it had a threaded bung in it and the bed had one hole drilled for the ball to thread in the plate, I don't think I would tow with it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/57704/A998FC9534B14470BBF2B9AF6DFAC105.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/57704/2A39398F460B4AC29F347F4B09A1D820.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/57704/DFF0A945D5334FD9B0578DA03207A309.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-16-2007, 06:17 AM
Super Dave
Veteran

ORIGINAL: FroneDaddy

What don't you like about it? You should've seen the one that was in my truck whenI got it. They welded a piece of 1/4" plate between the frame, it had a threaded bung in it and the bed had one hole drilled for the ball to thread in the plate, I don't think I would tow with it.
My truck has (I think) a homemade gooseneck. It is piece of REAL HEAVY 10" wide C-channel welded to the frame rails. The flat deck part of the C-channel is up just under the bed. There is a HUGE ( like 4 inches across) nut welded to the bottom with a hole drilled in the top of the C-channel and the bed to screw the ball down into. The ball is threaded and screws down into the nut from the top. The only thing visible in the bed was the ball itself. The bottom side is reinforced with some ribs to keep it from sagging. I am pretty sure they took the bed off the truck to do it.

I doubt I will ever use it, but I wouldn't be afraid to use it if the trailer wasn't terribly heavy. I took the ball out and made a drop-in plug to fill the hole so I can load sand or gravel in the the bed without it all faling through like an hour glass
I keep the ball under the back seat just in case.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:33 AM
FroneDaddy
Captain

Yea, you know what, mine is c channel also. It looks like it was fabbed, but, the piece of c channel appears that is what it is for, there's no nut welded to it. It's thick with a threaded hole in it. I took the ball out of mine too, that thing was in there good. I had to use an 18" pipe wrench and a 10' piece of 1/2" pipe extension, used a torch for heat and it still took 1/2 hour to get it loose.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:54 AM
Super Dave
Veteran

Yea, it took a 14" monkey wrench and a 3' piece of DOM tube to break it loose.

Quick Reply: goose neck hitch