Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Road Trip Across the Country

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Road Trip Across the Country

from the looks of it. . .I would say your sag would be from the leveling kit. . .

When I (over)loaded my truck down with sand the rear actualy squated down enough where the truck sat level. adding any additional weight would only bring it down farther. . .however with your truck already being level, the additional weight only made the truck look like it was sagging, when it wasnt.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: JT824Megacab

I will take lots of pics......
And you know EXACTLY what kinda pics I'm looking for right ??

Old 06-05-2007, 05:15 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

i believe you are using to big of a drop hitch.... that is causing the trailer to lean forward increasing the tongue weight.... try a different drop hitch and you will probaly sit closer to level and that should keep it riding better and more efficiently thats just what it looks like to me in this pic

Old 06-05-2007, 06:02 PM
JT824Megacab
Professional

Actually I dont have a levling kit. My tires fit without doing any modifications. I forgot about the hitch height, think i will re-masure that as well. The trailer has a surge braking system and the trailer needs to be level for the brakes to work properly. At one point I had the trailer too high in the front and the surge brakes would not engage so I dropped the hitch down.

Speaking of hitches.....I was on the Costco website and they are selling the Rapid Hitch with a 5 3/4" drop/ride for a $160.00 That is a pretty darn good price for anyone in the market for one....

Old 06-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Mayfair
Legend

What's the deal with those rings that you see hanging from some guy's hitches? Now the bull balz ( LOL ) but sometimes you'll see those rings that open up in the center hanging from the hitch where the chains would normally hook to. What's that for? Are they attaching the chains to those instead of to the hitch itself?

Old 06-05-2007, 06:21 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

Actually I dont have a levling kit. My tires fit without doing any modifications. I forgot about the hitch height, think i will re-masure that as well. The trailer has a surge braking system and the trailer needs to be level for the brakes to work properly. At one point I had the trailer too high in the front and the surge brakes would not engage so I dropped the hitch down.

Speaking of hitches.....I was on the Costco website and they are selling the Rapid Hitch with a 5 3/4" drop/ride for a $160.00 That is a pretty darn good price for anyone in the market for one....
yea im familiar witht the surge system and everything but i just thought it looked like the trailer was leaning down not level

Old 06-08-2007, 12:37 AM
JT824Megacab
Professional

ORIGINAL: tdmopar59

yea im familiar witht the surge system and everything but i just thought it looked like the trailer was leaning down not level

I remeasured my trailer and it is down in the front. It is 3/4" lower in the front compared to the back. I not sure why that occurred because it had always been level before. I guess I can adjust the rapid hitch up a notch to compensate. Could the rear shocks be going bad? Is there a way to check their condition?

Old 06-08-2007, 02:35 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

for shocks to check their condition climb under and just see if there is any wetness around the shocks... or there is an old rumor that if you stand on you bumper and jump up and down then hop off it shouldnt bounce anymore then 3 times i dont know how true that one is...... but definitely look for any wetness around the shocks and also since your truck is pretty new it could be that your suspension is broken in now so it travels a little more but you can always adjust your hitch if the shocks are good

Old 06-12-2007, 04:20 AM
JT824Megacab
Professional

I changed the setting on rapid hitch and moved my hitch up another slot. I put my trailer on the truck and remeasured and now the front of the trailer is about an 1" higher in the front versus the back of the trailer. The truck did not look like it was sagging anymore. Not sure if that will affect the surge brakes but I will find out....Going on another road trip to Lake Norris, TN for a big Crownline Rally....

Quick Reply: Road Trip Across the Country