Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2 Lifts Pumps at once?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:31 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Lifts Pumps at once?

I got this idea from a buddy of mine. His airplane has 2 fuel pumps. One is a backup incase the first fails. Since I saw this, I have always wanted to do the same to my truck. Has anyone done this? What suggestions do you guys have about trying this on an 01 CTD? I don't want both of the lift pumps running at the same time, just would like to have a toggle switch where I could change between lift pumps.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: 2 Lifts Pumps at once?

You had this idea before didn't you? I remember seeing it before.

Isn't that how Ford does it on their dual tank trucks? On my old Ford I could switch between the front tank and the rear on the dash, but I'm not sure how it was done underneath.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:07 PM
rbmchief
Rookie

ive got a holley blue with a big line kit and its running thru my original lift pump up by the fuel filter. they both run and work together. benn running it this way for about 20,000 miles so far.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:25 PM
dieselram
Captain

I've seen dual CP3 kits for the 03-07's. Both run all the time so it splits the load and if one dies, the other will compensate to a limit. I guess they're used keep the pressure up at full throttle in modified trucks.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good to see you back around shaun. . .long time no see. . .guess I forgot to mention that the other day. . .

he's not talking about dual CP3's, just dual lift pumps. but you are correct, the two CP3's will allow for more flow under high load/demand conditions.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:12 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Yes I did post this before but no one responded. I don't want 2 tanks, just two pumps. To further add to the confusion, my lift pump was replaced with an in-tank pump. I think I am going to get rid of the in-tank pump and install the old sending unit. Then put a Y on the fuel line coming out of the tank, put the two pumps on each end of the Y and then put another Y going back to the engine. I may have to put some type of valve to keep the one working pump from pushing fuel back through the pump that is turned off.

I figure I could do this with 2 walbro pumps and still be better off $$ wise than installing a FASS. And if one dies, just flip the switch and keep going.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:37 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Yeah, I understood that you were only looking to use 1 tank, but on my old Ford ( 1996 ) I had a switch to switch from one tank to the other. I don't know if I ws actually switching from one fuel pump to another or what exactly it was that I was switching. I only assumed it was 2 different fuel pumps and if that were the case than YES, I'd say it CAN be done.

Either way, I don't see why what you're thinking about doing won't work. Two check valves sound like all you'll need to me.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:04 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: CowboyBob

I got this idea from a buddy of mine. His airplane has 2 fuel pumps. One is a backup incase the first fails. Since I saw this, I have always wanted to do the same to my truck. Has anyone done this? What suggestions do you guys have about trying this on an 01 CTD? I don't want both of the lift pumps running at the same time, just would like to have a toggle switch where I could change between lift pumps.
Put a check valve right after each pump and before the lines come back to gether that way if the internal valveing in one pump fails the other one will not try pump backwards through the bad pump.

Quick Reply: 2 Lifts Pumps at once?