Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Transmission work

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 11:32 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transmission work

How hard was this to do $$ and time wise? My6 speedhas just started scratching when going into 5th gear. On a 600 mile trip this weekend, it probably did it 5 or 6 times times.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:50 PM
R0oster31
Veteran

Well the syncro cost 50 dollars shipped from a company called all state gear out of texas. The syncros use3 springs, 3 ***** and 3 of another little piece that holds the spring, they are around 15 dollars for a set. If you are careful you won't need any of those, but I smashed one of the springs between the bell housing and case. The for the bearing and race it was 110 from the dealer. If you order them from all state gear it might be cheaper, but I didn't want to wait for ups and could get them next day from the dealer. Time wise I could do it a lot faster now, but so far I've put about 10 hours or so into it and haven't started putting it back together yet, but all I had was a chilton and a hanes manual and they weren't very good for this. They had a little detail on taking out the transmission and none on taking it apart. I've started writing up what it all entails to get everything in and out and was going to take some pictures of each step as I put it back together, so will detailed pictures and a writeup you can take your own best guess as to how long it will take, that is if you want to wait for me to get that done. If you want to give me your email I'll send you the word document that I've started. It doesn't have any pictures yet, but covers most everything to get it out and apart in good detail. Once I get all the pictures and stuff in there I thought I might create a post and put it all in there.

On a different note my part should be here tomorrow and I will be able to start putting it back together.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: R0oster31

I've started writing up what it all entails to get everything in and out and was going to take some pictures of each step as I put it back together, so will detailed pictures and a writeup you can take your own best guess as to how long it will take, that is if you want to wait for me to get that done. If you want to give me your email I'll send you the word document that I've started. It doesn't have any pictures yet, but covers most everything to get it out and apart in good detail. Once I get all the pictures and stuff in there I thought I might create a post and put it all in there.
PROPS to you Rooster for taking the time to do this !! I'm sure it'll be very helpfull to your fellow Dodge owners.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:53 AM
R0oster31
Veteran

Well tomorrow is the big day. I've taken my time (both my grandpas like to fish), but I should be starting her up tomorrow. I've got everything almost put back together. I just have the rear driveshaft left to hang, fill it with fluidand put the interior stuff back together. I figured I would wait for the sealant to cure and then just fill it through the shift tower hole since that is a lot easier than trying to fill it through the fill plug. So far I think I have everything back together correctly and all the tolerances and torques right. I've got six gears that gradually get faster and one that is opposite and they are all in the right positions. And the best part is so far I haven't had any "extra" pieces. Wish me luck. If it works I'll have a do it yourself article to post, if not...

Old 06-22-2007, 09:21 AM
sabersix

Nice work! Nothing beats the satisfaction of doing it yourself (even if it takes 5x as long)!!! [sm=smiley32.gif]

Old 06-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: R0oster31
the best part is so far I haven't had any "extra" pieces.
LOL .... My buddy used to call them "Shoulder Bolts". If he couldn't figure out where they went, he'd just them em ove his shoulder and say something like " must not need that one"

Old 06-23-2007, 01:41 PM
R0oster31
Veteran

Well I put the fluid in and started her up yesterday, all is good. No leaks and it goes forward and reverse.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Super Dave
Veteran

How far did you take it apart? I think if I had it that far apart, I would just replace all the bearings and syncros while I was at it.
I rebuilt my NP435 trans in my Dad's old Ford, and it wasn't all that hard. I got the master rebuild kit for under $200 and replaced all the bearings and syncros. It still works like new 40K miles later. Based on what 2 transmission shops quoted me to rebuild that trans if I brought it to them, you saved over $1500 doing this yourself.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:07 PM
R0oster31
Veteran

I had it in pieces, I didn't have to pull all the gears and synchros off of the shafts though, just a couple to get the main case off and then the bearing that was bad.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a write up with pics would be good

Quick Reply: Transmission work