Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Power loss?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 02:39 PM
1993dodgeturbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power loss?

Fairly new to the Cummins engine. I've got a 1993 Dodge 2500 turbo with auto tranny that was given to me by a family member. It only has 119,000 miles and until several months ago, ran great. It seems like the problem occurred suddenly and not gradual. I've got a major loss in power. Without pulling any load, I will have the accelerator floored and it's barely moving. It takes quiet a while to get up to speed. I can't tell if it's a turbo issue or a transmission problem cause it feels like it reving high while it moves through the gears and then suddenly will shift gears. But like I said, you almost have to floor it to get it to start rolling. I've checked for anything obvious under the hood but like I said, I'm to the whole turbo thing.
Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:22 PM
cerobit
Default RE: Power loss?

did you pull any trouble codes?

Old 06-11-2007, 09:40 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

93 has very few if any codes available.

remove the cold air intake hose at the turbo.
check the turbo for a broken bearing by rocking it.
park the truck on level ground, start the engine, place it in Neutral, (with parkin break set). now check the trans fluid level.hows it look? color/ level?
you may need the trans adjusted, could even need a new trans filter.
can you rev the engine by hand at the injector pump linkage? hows it sound?

Old 06-11-2007, 10:23 PM
firemansdodge
Professional

If yourspeedometer guage is not raising as your rpm guage is. Then it can be a TC problem. Also stated above. If your tranny filter/fluids has not been changed within the last 20-25,000 miles. Then try that first.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the turbo spooing up???

if not I would say your AFC diaphram has burst or the spring is shot

Old 06-12-2007, 01:43 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: firemansdodge

If yourspeedometer guage is not raising as your rpm guage is. Then it can be a TC problem. Also stated above. If your tranny filter/fluids has not been changed within the last 20-25,000 miles. Then try that first.
a stock 93 did not have a tach

was also thinkin that the fuel filter could be clogged and/ or the air filter. power loss will occure abruptly if either is not up to snuff.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:46 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: Drew

is the turbo spooing up???

if not I would say your AFC diaphram has burst or the spring is shot
if that truck truly has suck low miles, the afc or spring shouldnt be, but could be the issue.

dang those 93's!!!

Old 06-12-2007, 11:19 PM
1993dodgeturbo

All great ideas, thanks. I knew I came to the right place.

Okay, spoke to my father-in-law who was the original owner and he verified it only does have 119k orig miles. I think I narrowed it down to a transmission problem. He said that about a year ago, he also noticed the power loss I previously mentioned and it appeared to run high through the gears. He said he brought it to a tranny shop and they pulled the pan to inspect it. He was told that the only way to check for a problem was to completely drop the tranny cause they noticed a few metal shavings in the pan. He had them just put the pan back on and planned on getting it looked at later. He said that after they put the pan back on, it drove like new again for a couple of weeks and then started doing the sluggish thing again.
So what do you think? What would make the tranny run good after the pan was dropped and then replaced? A vacuum or venting issue? Thanks again guys.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:33 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

ok thats the 46re trans.

4 speed bolted onto a 3 speed shaft.

have your filter changed and bands adjusted.

you have 3 adjusters!!

low and reverse inside the trans by the filter, then main band adjuster outside adjacent to the shifter armature. little nub with a nut.

believe me, i have battled with the trans guy that adjusted mine. he claims that there are only 2! I know there are 3!!!

The dealer is gonna adjust it for me here in a couple weeks.

a chiltons book shows it vaguly.

ask a good trans shop, with that few miles you may be able to get away with a full trans flush. then filter and adjustment are extra [:@]

btw: got pics of the ol 93?

Old 06-13-2007, 01:23 AM
s15996b

more than likely the filter is clogging, thats why it worked ok for a while and now its acting up again. Check the fluid with the engine running and the trans in neutral and the park brake set. if its full and smells ok ( NOT BURNT) drop the pan and change the filter again. with dodge trannys flushes are generally a waste of money because the root of the service schedule is changing the filter! If there is alot of clutch or metal meterial in the pan you need an overhaul. its a 47rh by the way. the RE crap didnt start until 1996.

Quick Reply: Power loss?