Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Suspension comparisons... IMO.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 02:06 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default Suspension comparisons... IMO.

Well, just got back from driving Kerstens truck with the Kore Chase setup. Here is what I think...

His truck has the Kore Chase suspension kit with the Kore steering stabilizer installed. it does an excellent job soaking up the deeper bumps, steering tracks pretty darn straight thru them as well. He mentions that he has 10" of wheel travel and thinks the stock ram setup is good for 6" which makes sense as that's about what I saw when compressing the shocks... 3 1/2 to 4" would be my guess. on the less bumpy roads it is comparable to my setup.

My truck with the skyjacker front springs (measured about 2.5" of lift from stock), lorenz mini leaf packs & the bilsteins on all 4 corners, stock steering stabilizer (probably shot). This setup does a pretty good job of soaking up the bumps but misses out just a tad on the deeper bumps. probably due to the shock travel limitation. steering effort to keep a straight line is more, could use a good steering stabilizer. again on less bumpy roads, they are about equal IMO.

Where his shines is in the tracking on the rough roads, you dont need much steering input to keep it straight and your knuckles stay a fleshy tone color (lol). My setup still requires some steering input to keep a straight line, knuckles change color just a tad but it is managable. I think with the addition of a good stablilazer this will fix it pretty good.

Lastly, a stock setup... my last setup was stock except for the spacers (since the eddy's had to be warrantied out). Knuckles would be white as a ghost, make sure there is nothing loose to start flying around when in the rough stuff and be prepared for when "sh** hits the fan"...

anyways, for anyone who cares, that's my evaluation on the suspensions available to test...

FiremansDodge & Kersten & another guy named Kevin were supposed to get together to compare all of their setups, I'm hoping to be there when they do and I'm hoping to have a good steering stabilizer installed by then as well. It should be interesting as if I remember correctly, one has the Lorenz setup, Kore setup & Carli setup...

Old 06-12-2007, 05:54 AM
firediver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Suspension comparisons... IMO.

Thanks for the comparison.
I have been in touch with those guys as well, and sure hope to be there when all three get together.
I'm leaning toward the Lorenz with the dual purpose leafs. But all three are a lotta bucks to lay out without being informed.

Mike

Old 06-12-2007, 06:22 AM
firemansdodge
Professional

Got in touch w/ Kevin to let him know starting in July I am off my shifts on weekends. So it's going to be easy to get a day set up. I might have my trac bar and steering stabalizer ordered and installed by then to complete my suspension. I/we will make sure to let everyone know when it will be. More the better and if anyone is deciding on a suspension like these. It will be a good chance to get to ride in all three suspensions and get a educated decision.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:59 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

which tracbar are you going to get? I used to have a Thurenfab one on my 2000 and liked it. I'm planning on getting one of those again for this truck as well as a set of control arms, maybe adjustable ones, not sure yet. Don has a deal I think on the steering stabilizers also. $260 for the one similar to the Kore.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:28 PM
firemansdodge
Professional

I was going to buy it from Thuren for $ 340, but found out Lorenz sells it now. Same trac bar, but Sean zinc plates the bar so it is ready to be installed. That is for $350. The Steering Stabilizer I am getting through Don's. Yes it is the same as KORE w/ the 2.0 Fox Nitrogen Shock and it is a great deal.

As for the control arms. I just can't pay $1,200 for a set from Carli. Too much money. I guy turn me on to this company DT Fab. http://www.dtprofab.com Control arms for $360 and look like good quality. I need to call and find out what they are made of.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:46 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I found these arms, adjustable but with rubber bushings, not sure if it's a good way to go or not yet but hey do seem beefy & they are adjustable after installation.
http://www.solidsteel.biz/product_daca.htm

Old 06-13-2007, 02:59 AM
kerstenp
Rookie

Howdy,
Steve thanks for the write up on the suspension comparision.
Steve's truck does ride much better, especially compared to stock. It handled the rough roads well, soaked up alot of bumps, generally smoothed out road harshness.
I'm hoping to do this test again, after Steve replaces his steering stabilizer. I believe that is where his ride could use some improvement.
Steve's suspension improves the ride for what 90 percent of us drive daily. My Kore Chase is probably overkill for my daily commute, but it sure kicks *** when I'm out playing on the weekends.
Is the Kore worth the extra $$$$$ ? Monday through Friday, probably not. Weekends......every penny's worth!!!

Old 06-13-2007, 04:00 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

Hey Kersten, welcome to DF! Kersten is motivated for some trail rides in the CTD's... he loaned me an awesome book that has all the NorCal trails in it. I think you could spend years hitting all the trails and still not cover them all. truely an awesome place to wheel...

I'm looking at the Thurenfab setup for the steering stabilizer and will also talk to Don (Thuren) about the benifits of the tracbar. I"m not convinced it will make a difference over the stock unit. On the 2nd gen trucks, yes 100% better, mainly because of the ball joint on the frame end. Take a look at the link for the control arms I posted up above, adjustable but with rubber bushings [:'(]... urethane ones would be better.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:34 PM
kerstenp
Rookie

Here's pics of the offroad portion of our Suspension Day, coming up in August. http://Outdoor4.smugmug.com/gallery/3044896/1/165750534
We'll also be hitting some freeway miles, as well as some rough potholed, paved roads.
The main purpose of this comparision is to see how each suspension system handles the average guy's daily drive.
Don't ask which suspension handles dirt roads at 90mph or who can catch the most air without bottoming out.... It ain't happening.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:13 PM
firemansdodge
Professional

This is going to be fun. I ordered my trac bar from Sean today. So I will have my front done. Just have to look into acouple of engine codes I got.

Quick Reply: Suspension comparisons... IMO.