Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Injector Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:13 PM
ajonke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector Cleaning

Has anyone had their diesel injectors to the dealer for a power injector cleaning? I was wondering how well it worked or if it was just a sales gimmick.? I was also wondering if the additives worked? I thought of adding the BG additive as I have used it in my gas engines with pretty decent results. Let me have your opinion.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:23 PM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Injector Cleaning

I'm not sure what BG is,I've heardif you run your truck down to about 1/8 of a tank or so then dump in a bottle of Power Service (gray bottle) and run the snot out of it should help.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:37 PM
s15996b

Big issue, i recently attended a meeting that included tech advisors from DCX and Cummins. Since the release of the HPCR there has been alot of debate about injector related problems and the resulting engine failures. Here's the scoop! Two things are causing failures; one is carbon build up inthe injector pintle and the more serious number two is sand getting through the filter to the high psi pump and injectors. The carbon build up is correctable with the use of Cummins VV090 every 7,500 miles and changing the fuel filter ( MUST BE A 7 MICRON)every 15,000 and that's it! The power flushcost about 80-130 bucks and it does the same thing the VV090 does for 6 bucks. If the injector does not recover, it must be replaced or a piston will soon follow!

Old 06-13-2007, 12:41 AM
Watermelon
Captain

DONT let the dealer blow you full of SMOKE!!! Run a can of PSD through the tank and find some long hills or a heavy load and hold you FOOT in it !!! That will clean the injectors better than anything. Avoid the stealership as oft as possible, they just want your $$$. Good luck and drive it like you stole it and that will keep it cleaned out.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:25 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Forget using PSD unless you like the idea of putting Naphtha (Naphtha aka, lighter fluid, paint thinner) in your fuel system. I had an injector sticking and had been using PSD and 2-cycle oil and to correct it I had to use Lucas to clear up the problem. Now that I use 4-6 oz of Lucas per tank I’ve seen a small increase in mileage with out the use of Naphtha in my fuel. Now if we can find an additive that will reduce the scare wear in our fuel system like LSD and not the crap they call ULSD, then that would be a great day.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Hvae you ever tried adding Lucas and 2 stroke?

Old 06-13-2007, 09:38 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

I will be trying out 1/4 oz of 2 cycle and Lucas with in the next month or sooner but first I need to get rid of my old mix of PS and 2 cycle oil I had left over from last winter. But to do that I need to drive more then twice a week.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:44 PM
Hauler6
Rookie

I have an injector cleaner, and just for kicks one day decided to use some Lucas...Works better then the machine.. Wish I had known that before I bought it[:@]

Old 08-17-2011, 02:05 AM
Tracey Mullins

you are claiming some very strong claims about Power Service Diesel Kleen and they are all smoke. I have used it for years and have had nothing but a positive response out of my Dodge and my John Deere tractor. From what I have learned from extensive study; there are only two additives on the market that have the newest cleaning agents to prevent carbon build up on any type of HPCR injection system and one of them is PSD. The other is just a cleaning agent, it does not have the extra cetane, stability, and especially lubricity benefits, of course with an 06 dodge you would not understand.(Lucas is just a cleaning agent for Cummins L-10 1980s) I would be willing to lay down a large sum of money that PSD will out do any additive on the market for all around performance including fuel economy. I would also be willing to bet that if you try the new PSD you would be very impressed compared to Lucas. All I am saying is give it a whirl, when I first noticing problems I turned to PSD after my research and have seen 2.6 extra mpgs along with more power and unfortunately less black smoke. I realized it only makes sense if black smoke is pooring out as good as it looks, my injectors are not running correctly. What ever you decide if you get a newer doge with the New HPCR injection only use PSD, becareful with any others. Please do not dog something you do not know anything about.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, way to bring up an OLD post..

Quick Reply: Injector Cleaning