Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Noise when Exhaust Brake Kicks in??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 01:29 AM
///MPower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise when Exhaust Brake Kicks in??

Hi All. I'm new here........Be gentle.

Anyway buy a strange set of circumstance I'm now quite a happy owner of a 2008 RAM 3500 dually 2WD with the Cummins Diesel motor.

My truck is absolutley immaculate and looks like a 30, 40,000 mile truck but has a staggering 180,000 miles on the clock. It drives real tight, is quiet and everything works.

But occasionally I have a funny noise......

When the Exhaust brake kicks in some times (not always) more so when hot and my 12,000 lb fifth wheel behind....i get a strange hissing noise above the normal blubb, blubb, blubb, of the exhaust brake. Almost sounds like a belt slipping??

I also some times get a very similar noise when loaded going up hill and the boost is up.

Is it waste gate or vacuum leak? Is it damaging the engine? Should I get it looked at ASAP?

I'm 300 miles into a quick 1200 mile trip with my fiver from LA to Victoria, BC.

Any help would be appreciated.

R.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:47 AM
///MPower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really??? 48 readers and no one has even a comment?

Old 07-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Relax MPower... many of the readers are likely the same as myself. Curious what you are asking about, but no technical knowledge with regards to your answer. Myself, I have a 5.9L diesel with no exhaust brake ability... and I've added another reader.

Be patient my young grasshopper. You will be shown the answer when the time is right! Likely more than 20 minutes from your original post.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, so a month later and no responses, now your other post doesn't look so bad.

I don't have the exhaust brake in my truck, but I don' think you're in any danger. These engines aren't run by belts other than the alternator and a couple other minor items (fan etc)..

If you are concerned, when you are near a Dodge dealer, get them to go for a drive with you.. it'll either put your mind at ease, or have them aware of your issue.

Quick Reply: Noise when Exhaust Brake Kicks in??