Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Anyone spray in their own bed liner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:00 PM
lesimon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone spray in their own bed liner?

I sprayed a bed liner in my 1992 Dakota 10 years ago, at first it looked good but did not stand up over time and kept pealing off even though it was sanded and prepared as per manufactures recomendations. This time I had my 3500 Ram sprayed with linex and I am definately happier with the finished product, Hopefully it with last over time.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:16 PM
sallyman1
Captain

My stuff is called GATOR GUARD. the only thing is I have no garage so ill spray it on in morning and hopefully kinda dry in afternoon. It says not to drive for 48 hours. I cant do that as i need vehicle. I cant see why driving hurts unless its raining out or if you go down a dusty gravel road.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:13 AM
AudioAndrew

My brother got a line-x liner in his F-150 and we got our John Deere Gator line-x lined. This stuff is super tough and looks great for a long time. We have used our gator for hauling dirt, concrete chunks, mulch, and all kinds of other nasty things and all it takes is a hose-out and it looks like new again. I hope your gator guard works good, but if you haven't applied it yet, you might want to consider line-x. It was about $400 for the short bed truck and $200 for the gator. Great stuff. I wish my truck didn't already have a rhino liner so I could get a line-x.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:46 PM
BlkPearl

Did mine this weekendusing Speedliner. (The best stuff out there)

[IMG]local://upfiles/71705/45B58460F2BA4412AEC8B248571499D8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-17-2007, 11:02 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: BlkPearl

Did mine this weekendusing Speedliner. (The best stuff out there)

[IMG]local://upfiles/71705/45B58460F2BA4412AEC8B248571499D8.jpg[/IMG]
That looks real nice. Good job man.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:29 AM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did the speedliner cost?

Old 09-18-2007, 08:44 AM
GlenninTexas
Rookie

I did the Hurculiner paint on stuff several years ago, I don't recommend it.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Deleted User
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 09-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tobinj

Okay guys I'm a Vortex spray liner dealer and here goes my two cents take on it for what its worth.

The first thing is PREP PREP PREP, scuff the entire surface of the bed with say 80 grit on an orbital, just scuff it don't grind it. Never use a wire wheel as they polish more than scuff and on most applications you cannot go to bare metal without applying a Self Etching Primerto it prior tospraying. So unless the instructions say Bare Metal then just scuff with paper.

Once you scuff, blow out the dust and then wipe with Acetone, it evaporates very fast and removes all residue. Any moisture left on bed and sprayed over will cause a bubble and eventually peel, this is the reason for Acetone the evaporation rate is almost immediate.

And lastly if you want a DIY then go for it, I recommend using a professional because its guaranteed for life. Most good DIY kits will run $200 so why not spend $200 more for peace of mind and great looks, not to mention only two hours without your vehicle not 2 days. If you do go DIY and then want a pro to fix it or go over it for whatever reasons go ahead and double the cost to $800 because all the old stuff has to come off, we remove other Pro Sprayed Liners and it requires a chisel, I've removedDIY liners with a rag and MEK. Sandblasting won't take my stuff off unless you have a Cummins poweringthe sandblaster.

Take this for what its worth I've seen many awesome looking DIY jobs but consider all the options first. Just trying to help out my CTD brothers.

very very true. . . .Ive nicked my Line-x, but that took a shovel and me behind it hard to do it. . .just remember what tobinj said. . .if you ever have it removed it will take nearly 2x the time to remove the stuff then to put it on. . .

Old 09-18-2007, 02:11 PM
MCDiver
Rookie

I have the gator guard on my service body and it looks good for a few years then it turns chalky white. It also does not hold up well. Mine has beenon for less than a month and it is chipping and scratching. I should have gone with the pro liner, then they would have to fix the problem areas. Now I know.

Quick Reply: Anyone spray in their own bed liner?