Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

afe or banks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:41 AM
farmerguy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default afe or banks?

got an 07 5.9 with a flashpaq. next up is cold air. im looking at afe stage II or banks ram air. which is better and why? this is as far as im gonna go with mods, no exhaust or anything else. am mostly concerned with fuel mileage and some towing. thx,,,,,

Old 06-18-2007, 12:47 AM
cmnspwr
Veteran
Default RE: afe or banks?

I have an aFe Stage 2 with the Pro Guard 7 filter. That turbo SCREAMS. I often get asked what turbo do I have and when I say stock, they look at me kinda weird. Just my $.02.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:49 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Do you like the flashpaq?

Old 06-18-2007, 12:51 AM
jakebrake
Champion

Got an afe and really like it. Never seen the banks so idk too much about it

Old 06-18-2007, 12:52 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: jakebrake

Got an afe and really like it. Never seen the banks so idk too much about it
But do you have the Jack in the Box antenna topper?

Old 06-18-2007, 12:57 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

AFE stage 2 w/pg7 filter!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:08 AM
firemansdodge
Professional

I have a Banks Ram Air System. I can't comment on which one is better. I nevered owned anafe system, but I had on a K&N CAI before the Banks and the Banks gave me more throttle response and made the turbo sing more. Banks and I believe the afe has non oil filter for cleaning. Stay away from CAI filters that take oil to clean them. You want a dry filter system.

Really if you want to save money. Get yourself a good drop in filterand take the baffles out of the intake tubing. Your not really going to gain much more hp or air flow w/ an aftermarket system. Even though the aftermarket filter is twice as big as the drop in. It has been proven. Unless it gives you piece of mind to install CAI system. If I was more educated at the time. That's what I would've gone with.

So for the two CAI systems your asking about. Can't go wrong w/ both. The Banks will be alittle more than the afe. Also a sugestionas it goes hand in hand. You don't have to get a complete exhuast sytem, but I would recommend to get a aftermarket muffler to replace the stocker. You will need a free flowing muffler to help out w/ EGT and get GUAGES for the Flashpaq.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:14 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Can't wait to get my flashpaq. I have been driving the mini van as sort of a mental block on the truck until I get the flashpaq. I want to jump in, let it warm up and see the difference.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:19 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

ORIGINAL: firemansdodge

I have a Banks Ram Air System. I can't comment on which one is better. I nevered owned anafe system, but I had on a K&N CAI before the Banks and the Banks gave me more throttle response and made the turbo sing more. Banks and I believe the afe has non oil filter for cleaning. Stay away from CAI filters that take oil to clean them. You want a dry filter system.

Really if you want to save money. Get yourself a good drop in filterand take the baffles out of the intake tubing. Your not really going to gain much more hp or air flow w/ an aftermarket system. Even though the aftermarket filter is twice as big as the drop in. It has been proven. Unless it gives you piece of mind to install CAI system. If I was more educated at the time. That's what I would've gone with.

So for the two CAI systems your asking about. Can't go wrong w/ both. The Banks will be alittle more than the afe. Also a sugestionas it goes hand in hand. You don't have to get a complete exhuast sytem, but I would recommend to get a aftermarket muffler to replace the stocker. You will need a free flowing muffler to help out w/ EGT and get GUAGES for the Flashpaq.
do you have any pics of yours installed?

Old 06-18-2007, 01:31 AM
firemansdodge
Professional

Jimmy-
You will notice a big difference compared to stock. You'll feel the tq.. And the mini van, well you'll feel likeyour in aNASCAR TRUCK when you download it. I will mail it out 9am sharp in the morning and you will get it Tuesday. Just make sure to update it on Superchips website. Click on the Flashpaq update link on the home page and download the software to your computer then update the Flashpaq from there. If you have Windows Vista you can't do it until I believe late summer when they make the software compatible. It's no biggie, but I know they did some updating to the Flashpaq programming over the months.

Steve-
I will take some pics of the CAI and try to post tonight.

Quick Reply: afe or banks?