Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

I dont think I can do it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 03:59 AM
firemansdodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I dont think I can do it.

ORIGINAL: Drew

ORIGINAL: firemansdodge

Post turbo will read atleast 300*less than pre turbo. You have to be careful. Pre Turbo you ideally want to keep it under 1250 for constent temp. Short burst up to 1450* is ok. AndI really mean short, few seconds. So post turbo I would not go any higher than 8-900*. The Juice w/ Attitude has you put the pyro pre turbo w/ the safety paremeters set that way.. Doesn't mean you can't put it post turbo. Everyone will have a prefernce on this. Not a right or wrong way. Just remember the temp difference between pre & post turbo.
not trying to sharpshoot here, but the 600's on up can handle up to 1600 for a short duration due to the valve seats. 1250 all day long 1350 sustained is asking for trouble.
I said keeping it under 1250* you are more than fine all day (is a good rule of thumb). I would not go up to 1600* even for a short burst. Let alone 1500* yourasking for trouble. Ask some that drag. If you do short burst over 1500* enough. You will burn things up. Towing is the samething going up a grade. Some will say it's ok, but not in my truck. I want my engine to last and not have to tear it apart at 80,000 miles.

Now I am saying this for a mostly stock truck other than the regular upgrades (CAI, exhuast, tuner/programmer, guages). If you have twins, injectors, and work done to the internals of the enginethen ya you could hit higher temps.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:11 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

have a pre and post turbo therma couple (yes, a temp guage is exactly that).

then theres no doubt when you check it out

Old 06-20-2007, 01:20 AM
02cummins
Captain

i did it in my 02 ull b ok sweetheart haha...magnet, grease and let the truck idle for a litle bit after itll fine...sally! haha jk, i was scared to

Old 06-20-2007, 02:45 AM
moconst
Veteran

if you go post turbo, why even bother doing it. Accuracy is the key! Otherwise just put it on the muffler if you dont care

Old 06-20-2007, 03:03 AM
jakebrake
Champion

Post turbo would tell you how hot the turbo is. Very helpful when your cooling the turbo off. If it is in the manifold, exhaust temp will drop faster than turbo temp.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:11 AM
moconst
Veteran

Smartass, Makes sense tho

Old 06-20-2007, 03:19 AM
jakebrake
Champion

I'll end up running 2 pyros. I got mine after the turbo right now, and when future mods come, I'll put one in the manifold. I figured by then the old thermocouple would probably break when I try pulling it out, so just leave it

Old 06-20-2007, 04:51 AM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: jakebrake

any little metal shavings aren't going to hurt the turbo. The exhaust will push them out when you first fire it off. The turbo will be spinning so slow, it won't hurt it.
Really ??

With the way everyone is so freaked about it I thought that even the tiniest piece of metal would screw it up.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:10 AM
speakle
All Star

I think most of you will likely give mea very hard time but I have been considering just getting rid of the damn thing, everytime I mash the pedal (and I havent gone to the floor yet!) I watch the guages and am just waiting for something break. First time I got on it the stupid monitior had the boost warning level set at 36psi, when that alarm starting going off talk about scare the crap out of me. I fixed that and then I get on interstate and the stupid thing goes off because I am doing 71mph, scared the crap out of me again. I find myself so worried about everything all the time I am not sure its worth it to me.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:18 PM
firemansdodge
Professional

That is your safety features on the Attitude to save you from doing damage to your truck. You can set the warning @38 psi and defuel @ 40 psi. That's what I did on mine.Never had mywarning come on. Your not going to ruin your truck if you set your safety parameters within trucks spec. Nevered heard of the Juice ruining a truck. It may throw fuel codes on some trucks because the CP3 pump can't supply enough fuel. As you told me in another post. "grow some"....[sm=coolness.gif]

Also if you mash the the pedal and have a stock tranny. Say goodbye to your tranny. You have to be conservative on levels 4-5.