Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Bad Fuel Injectors???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 12:56 AM
GravyTrain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Fuel Injectors???

Ok, Heres the story.
I bought a New 2006 Dodge 2500 with the cummins everything was great for the first 40000 miles. I have been making my own biodiesel for a wihile and using it in my 1997 12valve Cummins, with NO Problems. So I thought why not try it out in the 2006. The truck ran great for the next 4000 miles, I was on the west coast coming home, a 3000 mile trip, and had to fill up at the gas station. They were outa fuel and had to wait on the tanker truck.......... Anyway, I got home and the fuel pump went out, I dropped the tank and had "Berm Dust" in it. I have never had any trouble in the 1997 12 valve, so I am assuming I got the junk from the gas station. I replaced the pump, the truck is getting fuel but will not start without Ether. The dealership says i need to replace the entire Fuel delivery System, ( both pumps, all the lines, injectors etc. ) . All this for only several thousand dollars...... Any Ideas on what the true problem is, is anyone else making their own fuel and had this problem?

Thanks

Old 06-19-2007, 01:41 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bad Fuel Injectors???

I have not heard it going that far. . .hows your fuel filter holding up??

Old 06-19-2007, 01:59 AM
gtxpooch
All Star

What is "Berm Dust" ?

Old 06-19-2007, 03:18 AM
GravyTrain

When I "Mix" my own fuel it runs thru 3 prefilters + a water block filter. So the filter on the truck is lasting a good while, 2-3 months = 20k - 25k miles.

Berm Dust is basically very small gravel.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:48 AM
1200 hp DODGE RAM

All that i have to say bro will give the right information just listenclosely. The reason for them talking all that smack about what you need to pay now is because you really jacked you truck up man. Dont ever do something like that again shame on you. But what I will tell you will solve all of your problems, Just pay what is due. MY TRUCK WILL DRAG YOURS ANYWAY BRO JUST BUY A NEW ONE THANKS FOR YOUR TIME. DODGE MAKES IT CUMMINS SHAKES IT.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:10 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

gravytrain....

you got tank scrapins from that station. when fuel tanks are low enough to stop pumpin till a tanker gets there, push pull tug or tow to the next station.

when that tanker finallystarts tofill the station tanks, any FOD (foriegn object debris) is washed off the tank floor and into the mix. this lasts up to 24 hrs after the tanker leaves its "mark" .

NEVER use a station where you SEE a sitting tanker OR KNOW they are waiting for one!!

sorry to hear about that happening.

Dodge here says not to run bio in new 07 6.7 ctds. Dodge headquarters says 5% bio to 95% diesel..in the 07's...not sure why it would make a diff or if it goes for you '06 too. I am thinkin that they just suck donkey ***** and are "in" with them oil companies.

btw...which bio sys do youuse?

Old 06-19-2007, 12:06 PM
GravyTrain

Bajafun......
I use old deep fryer oil, ( Must be oil, not shortening ) once you collect it, the oil has to settle, ran thru a series of filters, add a little kerosene to thin it, a little gasoline to raise the cetane value, and a detergent to keep it from seperating. Obviously are VERY PRECISE ratios for all the above ingredients, but you get the idea. When its all said and done my bio cost me about $0.54 a gallon. Like i said it runs great in the 1997 Cummins 12valve, no smoke, more power, and quiets the engine down.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:47 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

You are running on veggie oil, not bio diesel. When running high percentages of bio or veggie oil, you need a better lift pump because that stuff is thicker than regular diesel. Even when you thin it out it still has different properties than petroleum diesel. The carter lift pump in your truck is made for petroleum diesel. FASS makes a special lift pump just for your type of application. It is not the regualr model FASS pump for diesel, it is a special model for veggie oil.

The exact opposite thing happened to me and my lift pump died shortly after. I was filling up at a station and they ran out of diesel while I was pumping. The pump stopped after about 20 gallons. When I went inside and asked why they turned the pump off, they told me that they were low on diesel and that I just bought the last bit they had. What they really meant was that I bought the last 20 gallons of crap on the bottom of the tank. About 300 miles later, my pump died and there was similar crap in the filter housing that you described.

I now try to buy at high volume stations like truck stops when I can. They will always have the fresh diesel because they sell so much, it doesn't sit around very long.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Mayfair
Legend

That BLOWS !!!

Is there any recourse when buying crappy diesel from a station or what? Can you make them pay up?

Old 06-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Drew
Professional

sometimes yea, sometimes no. . .

if it is found there is water in the tank then yea, you probably could, however with the gunk that is normal to diesel I doubt it.

Quick Reply: Bad Fuel Injectors???