Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

I think I filled up with low sulfur diesel

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:06 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I think I filled up with low sulfur diesel

Outside of the state of CA LSD can be sold for on road use until late in 2010. The diesel owners in CA were the first to get screwed with ULSD and most didn't even know it. To many friut and nuts running the states is why they have so many stupid laws.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:15 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

hummm, I'll have to remember that next time I go to Reno. I'll bet they still have it there.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:26 PM
CamperAndy
Rookie

ORIGINAL: DBLR

Outside of the state of CA LSD can be sold for on road use until late in 2010. The diesel owners in CA were the first to get screwed with ULSD and most didn't even know it. To many friut and nuts running the states is why they have so many stupid laws.
You only think you are getting LSD. Read the link and you will see why.
http://www.clean-diesel.org/images/U...factsheets.pdf

Old 06-21-2007, 02:01 PM
minex
Veteran

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

you guys make it sound like you have a choice between LSD and ULSD... what gives? I thought LSD was history at the pumps...
In Colorado, there are more LSD stations than ULSD (from what I've seen). On my normal route to work or when running errands, there are no stations that sell ULSD. I finally found one the other weekend at a station near the interstate. They actually had ethanol too. This is the reason I went with the 2007 5.9L.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

To update you guys on the situation, this morning I made a complaint to the fuels quality people at the Maryland Comptroller's office. They are going to send an inspector to the station today to pull a sample, which will go to a lab for testing. The guy said they will contact me with the results of the test. I asked him what sort of recourse is available to me if the fuel pumpturns out to bemislabeled, and the fuel causes damage to my vehicle. He said it's up to me to pursue a civil action against the gas station. Hopefully it won't come to that. I am going to burn off the remainder of this tank, then run a couple tanks of good fuel through it, and then go to the Dodge dealer for a check-up.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:35 PM
finny
All Star

yah thats a good idea

Old 06-21-2007, 04:54 PM
CamperAndy
Rookie

ORIGINAL: hildenja

To update you guys on the situation, this morning I made a complaint to the fuels quality people at the Maryland Comptroller's office. They are going to send an inspector to the station today to pull a sample, which will go to a lab for testing. The guy said they will contact me with the results of the test. I asked him what sort of recourse is available to me if the fuel pumpturns out to bemislabeled, and the fuel causes damage to my vehicle. He said it's up to me to pursue a civil action against the gas station. Hopefully it won't come to that. I am going to burn off the remainder of this tank, then run a couple tanks of good fuel through it, and then go to the Dodge dealer for a check-up.
If there is a confirmed miss labeled pump with LSDcoming outinstead of ULSD the fines are over $32,000 a day.As of Jan of this year 98% of all tested pumps had ULSD (<15 ppm) irrespective of how the pump was labeled. Not likely that you got LSD especially if the pump was labeled ULSD it is not worth it to the owners to do that.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:34 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: CamperAndy

Anyway if we use the EPA numbers that means that 10% of all the palces that sell diesel fuel still have good ol LSD for sale

Old 06-21-2007, 06:17 PM
CamperAndy
Rookie

ORIGINAL: DBLR

ORIGINAL: CamperAndy

Anyway if we use the EPA numbers that means that 10% of all the palces that sell diesel fuel still have good ol LSD for sale

Using the EPA numbers later in the link it said 98% were compliant with ULSD. The 10% number for LSDshipped is not intended as a means to sell the #2 at 500 ppm but to allow batches that test out at above the ULSD to be sold without reprocessing or down grading a tank on delivery.

BTW the good old LSD at 500 ppm was the limit of the fuel not the average or mean value. Depending on the source of the crude the diesel produced in years past could easily been compliant with todays standards, so you very may have been using very low sulfur fuel without even knowing it.. Currently ULSD tanks test out at 6 to 8 ppm

Old 06-21-2007, 11:16 PM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: hildenja

My 6.7 just got out of the shop every thing in the emissions is fine but it still smokes even worse now that they reprogrammed it and around 1400 miles is when mine started smoking. So maybe it has something to do with that flash they have been putting on them.

Quick Reply: I think I filled up with low sulfur diesel