Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel
View Poll Results: A poll
Cap style filter wrench
13.33%
Band style wrench
20.00%
Socket or box-end wrench (K&N style filter)
2.22%
Cam style wrench
8.89%
Big slip-joint pliers
2.22%
Bare hands!
42.22%
Other
11.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

How do you remove the oil filter on your CTD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 11:13 PM
jakebrake
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do you remove the oil filter on your CTD?

After changing hundreds of filters, I found that grease seems to keep the seal from sticking to the filter head better than oil. Makes it easier to get the filter off the next time around. Mayfair, it won't cook the grease. If it's getting that hot, you've got way more serious problems.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

Thanks to everyone who voted in my poll. It looks like "bare hands" is the winner!

I am going to change my oil for the first time soon, using the new Amsoil CJ-4 synthetic diesel oil (link) and a Donaldson Endurance filter (link). I had never heard about the Ziplock bag trick for the filter, but it sounds like a great idea. I've changed a lot of oil in my days, and removing the filter is always the messiest part of the job. I'll see if my retard strength can loosen the filter; if not I will use my big Channel Lock pliers to get it started, and then whip out the Ziplock to finish the job. I also bought one of those needle adapters for my grease gun, so I'll see if I can find the recessed lube fitting on the drive shaft u-joint.

Does anyone know if the 2007 models have grease zerks on the tie rod ends or ball joints? I have not looked yet.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:44 PM
dieselram
Captain

hand removal all the way. I don't know how anyone can afford to pay someone to change their oil, I spend enough money each time Ichange it in the driveway.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:11 AM
beachmstr

The way I see it, at least when I had my gas rig, its going to cost me at least $25 for the oil and the filter and to fill all the fluids not to mention that on average hour or so to finish it. So I figure for an extra ten bucks I could go and have it done. I don't get dirty, i don't have to dispose of it, and I can do something else for that hour like have breakfast with my family since the place is right across the street from our favorite restaurant

Old 06-26-2007, 01:15 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Did it this weekend. a little messy but went well. Did not jack up my truck, had to really stretch even with the creeper to get to the Filter. I wish I had a lift. went easy and smooth otherwise.

Quick Reply: How do you remove the oil filter on your CTD?