Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Obtaining Codes from OBC

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 11:44 AM
mplebra
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obtaining Codes from OBC

Is there a trick to getting the OBC to spit out the codes when the MIL comes on inthe new 6.7L CTD? I tried the "on/off" technique described in the FAQ, but with no luck. Any ideas other than the dealership? I have an appointment, but they can't seem to get me in until 9 July.

Thanks,

Matt

Old 06-24-2007, 12:25 PM
sabersix
Default RE: Obtaining Codes from OBC

Try pushing and holding the odometer reset stick while you turn the ignition to the "on" position. The dash will go through a self-check and display various codes and end with the number of hours on the engine. I'm not sure if those are mil codes or not...

As far as waiting until 9 July, I'd find another dealer if that is an option. Otherwise, I'd talk with the general manager because that BS that you have to wait that long for a service appointment!

Old 06-24-2007, 12:53 PM
mplebra
Rookie

Thanks for that info, lots of lights and guage movment during that test, I'll have to decipher it to figure all that out. I didn't really see any engine codes though. I am really frustrated with the dealership, but the next closest is 90 miles away. Not sure if I should keep driving the truck with the engime light on. The dealership said it would not be an issue as long asitwas notblinking while driving.

Here is the exact problem I am having with my 07 Ram 6.7L CTD Q/C 4X4 Lone Star (1050 miles): Turn inition to on position, normal light tests occur, then the MIL blinks 10 times and remains on. If I start the truck the MIL continues to illuminate steadily, not flash. According to the owners manual, the blinking MIL in the on position indicates that the truck was unable to perform the emissions testing.

I haven't driven long or far enough to notice any loss of fuel milage or power. I've also contacted Chrysler Corp to document the whole issue. They told me to call the Road Side Assistance number to see if they would cover the tow to the next closest dealer for faster service.I'm still considering that, but I want to give me local dealership the opportunity to squeeze me in if they can.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Old 06-24-2007, 01:00 PM
sabersix

Another option might be your local AutoZone/Advance Auto. I believe they will read engine codes for free.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:33 PM
mplebra
Rookie

Thanks again! Went to Advance Auto and they hooked it up to the code reader for free. Came out with code P242B - and under the further info tab, it said"exhaust gas was out of tolerance (bank 3)". He explained that bank 1 is usually located at the exhaust manifod, bank 2 is normally around the O2 sensor and bank 3 might be the catalytic converter (poss particulate filter?). Is heright?

Now the confusion - looking the code up in the FAQ here, it seems there is a code P0242 identifyinga problem in the turbo with the B circuit too high. Whatdoes that mean? Is this the code his reader was finding or should I go with what the reader actually said?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Old 06-24-2007, 04:22 PM
sabersix

Well, you have exceeded my expertise... [&:]

I'd go with what the code reader said. Probably something wrong with your DPF. Do you get a message on your overhead console about the DPF being full? What kind of driving are you doing?

At any rate, it sounds like you can safely drive it until the dealer can look at it. Hopefully sooner than later. I'd still call the general manager of the dealership and let him know how long it is taking to get a service appointment.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Old 06-24-2007, 04:35 PM
mplebra
Rookie

I do mostly in town short trip driving, which as everyone has suggested is the worst for these trucks. To help with this, I usually take the truck out on the weekend for 30-40 miles at highway speeds.

Update on the problem: I have had the computer codes cleared as suggested by a a local diesel mechanic. He said some of these new components have gliches that may not repeat themselves. If it does repeat, then I'll get that looked at. The MIL is no longer illuminated during driving. I just put 30 miles on it to see if it would come back on. So far so good. Now the only problem is the flashing MIL prior to start-up.Again, as per the owners manual, it indicates the vehicle was not ready to have the emissions test conducted. The manual doesn't indicate that this is a huge deal, so I'll keep trying to get it in to get looked at, but none the less, I'm back driving it. Wow, what a pleasure to drive when things seem to be working well.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions. If anyone has any other input, please don't hesitate to chime in.

Matt

Quick Reply: Obtaining Codes from OBC