Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Tranny service question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 01:08 AM
Twoforme2
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny service question

I was looking throunght the service manual last night and noticed that if you remove pan and filter then it only requires 1 1/2 quarts to refill, yet the capacity of everything, torque converter, coooler, etc is like 6 quarts.
Pardon the stupid question but wouldn't it be much better to drain it all, or is that such a PITA that it is not done unless you tear the whole thing down? Does a torque converter have a drain plug? (told you they were stupid questions)

Old 06-27-2007, 02:03 AM
dtb86001
Professional
Default RE: Tranny service question

I think its a good question. the last time i worked on a trany was about 15 years ago on an old ford c-6. I remember a T/C drain plug on that one but it was such a PITA to get to I never drained it.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:18 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

The Dodge TC does not have a drain plug to drain the TC. When I had my filter changed last month it took 6.5 qt’s of fluid to fill it back up even though Dodge told me it took 5 qt's for filter change.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:06 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only way to exchange ALL the fluid is to remove the fluid return line from the tranny and put that into a bucket, with a few gallons of ATF start the truck and put it in neutral and begin to pour tranny fluid down the dipstick hole untill the fluid is no longer dark.

personaly, just dump whats in the pan, change the filter(s) put pan back on and refill.

Quick Reply: Tranny service question