Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Help me select the right specs for my (PW-look-alike) vehicle, please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 11:20 PM
char_ls
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help me select the right specs for my (PW-look-alike) vehicle, please!!!

ORIGINAL: savage.basher

There was 0 posts when I started typing. Man I am a freakin' slow typer [:@].
Same here pal... I am an extremely slow typer too!

Old 06-28-2007, 12:22 AM
moconst
Veteran
Default RE: Help me select the right specs for my (PW-look-alike) vehicle, please!!!

5.9 all the way. Whatever you choose Im sure you will love it

Old 06-28-2007, 12:30 AM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

Yeah, snag a 5.9, they are tried, true and proven. Not to say the 6.7 is bad, it's just new.... snag a 5.9 from your local dealer while you still can. They stopped makin them.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:08 AM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

You are getting some weird info or just jumbling your products. First off 22 inch rims do not come on the power wagon. On the new 6.7 they dont have twin turboes I belive. The new fords have twin turboes though. And the power wagon only has a 2 inch lift. There is a LOT of knowledge on this site, and people will help you in a heart beet. And the 5.9l have either a 6 speed manual, or a 4 speed auto.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:40 AM
savage.basher

- 6.7L as far I know is a singe turbo design. And as far as power loss due to the additional emmisions control equipment, I'm not sure, but I didn't want to take any chances. The specs on the engines' power outputs are pretty close to the same, so it wouldn't have to take much from the additional emissions stuff to bring them back to the same outputs at the wheels.

-Sorry abou the tranny mix up. I meant the 6spd manual tranny. I think on the 5.9L it is a 4spd auto or 6spd manual, on the new 6.7L I think the auto is a 6spd also.

-ummm, now you got me confused on the higher/lower gearing termonolgy . which ever way you say it I have the 4.10 so that the tires wil maybe balance it back out a little.

-I think a stock power wagon is really only about 2 in taller than a stock 4X4 ram 2500. I bought a top gun customz level kit off of ebay (their website price is the same also). It was only $89 and is very well made, nice welds, powder coated, all the hardware included, etc. I put it on myself in my driveway with a couple of regular ole floor jacks and common tools, took about 4hrs or so.

-If you are shooting for pure offroad capability then typicaly less wheel and more tire is better. I stuck with this theory and got stock size 17" wheels and the 33" tires. Any diameter tire will work on a 17" rim. However the width is what you want to match to the wheel, the stockwheel width of 8" should not get a tire that is more than 12.50" (that is probably pushing it too). I bought 17x9 wheels for my 12" wide tires.

I'm sure everyone else is tired of seeing it but, here is a pic

as far as the slow typing goes.... I have got to take some classes or something!

Old 06-28-2007, 01:46 AM
char_ls

ORIGINAL: squirtbottle09

You are getting some weird info or just jumbling your products. First off 22 inch rims do not come on the power wagon. On the new 6.7 they dont have twin turboes I belive. The new fords have twin turboes though. And the power wagon only has a 2 inch lift. There is a LOT of knowledge on this site, and people will help you in a heart beet. And the 5.9l have either a 6 speed manual, or a 4 speed auto.
OK, buddy, sorry about the confusion, and thanks for clarifying...
It seems clear that a lot of you prefer the 5.9 over the 6.7. When
I mentioned that both manual and auto trannies had 6-sp, that's
what came up at the Dodge site with the 6.7 engine. But you're
right, the 5.9 has either a 6-sp manual or 4-sp auto.

Would the 2" lift weaken the truck in any way? I am planning on
33" tires... So is it something advisable in my case... Just 2" does
it really make a difference? Sorry again for all these questions,
but I have been learning a tremendous amount today, thanks to
you guys.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:56 AM
savage.basher

The 2"does make a difference (more than it seems like it would), in most cases it is the difference beween not being able to fit 35's and being able too. More importantly it lets the truck sit about level, as you can see in my pic the top of the tires are both about even with the body line running down the truck, before I did the 2" level there was a noticeable slope down towards the front of the truck, much better now .

Old 06-28-2007, 02:01 AM
savage.basher

The 2" spacer was defiently over built,IMO it willnot weaken the truck at all. You probably will not need it for 33's but, like I said before it will make the truck sit a little more level kinda like the PWs.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:03 AM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

I had a lot of problems out of my 6.7 the first 2 weeks but I wouldn't trade it because I love my new truck.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:08 AM
savage.basher

bksram - I thought we were going to here alot of problems from the new 6.7L but to my surprise I think maybe you are the only one so far, course you aren't scared to work your truck though . Hey, does anyone know, I thought that dodge was allready using the 6.7L in chassis cabs or something?? Well.. maybe... maybe they were, but without all the extra emissions stuff??

Quick Reply: Help me select the right specs for my (PW-look-alike) vehicle, please!!!