Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

seeing fuel on the frame before filter change

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 02:13 AM
dtb86001
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seeing fuel on the frame before filter change

It this normal to see leeking fuel that has dripped on the fram below the filter drain tube. this is the first time the fuel filet has been changed on this truck and i figured that it sould be cleen. heck my oil pan is still clean.

by the way the FAQ section helped alot i was able to get my filter changed and the truck running in less than 15 min.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:31 AM
sabersix
Default RE: seeing fuel on the frame before filter change

Did you put an extension on the drain hose or put a container on top of the front differential to catch the fuel when you drained the fuel bowl? If not, it is normal to have some fuel on the frame rail and front differential.

If it is continuing to leak after you completed the change, check the drain lever to be sure it is fully closed and look for leaks around the top of the filter housing. It should not leak.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:38 AM
FroneDaddy
Captain

Exactly, if you don't put an extension on it, it will drain right onto the differential

Old 07-01-2007, 03:08 PM
dtb86001
Professional

I noticed the fuel there before i opend the dran valve. it looks like a leek or slow drip. this was the first time the filter has been changed so it has to have been leeking for a while. i was wondering if there is some sort of relief or bypass that would cause this.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:07 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain

Maybe somehow or someone bumped the drain valve, make sure the yellow valve is completely closed and the lid is on tight. Clean the frame and differential or where ever you got the fuel with CRC brake kleen and see if it shows up again............CRC is the best kind out there.

Quick Reply: seeing fuel on the frame before filter change